Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:30 pm 
Hello folks,

I need some help to make a decision, I am looking for a tripod with ball head(stick), my thoughts were between:

1. Manfrotto 055 XPROB (135 euros) + Manfrotto MA 327RC2 (135 euros) = 270 euros.

2. Manfrotto MA 055CXPRO4 (340 euros) + Manfrotto MA 327RC2 (135 euros) = 475 euros.

I have few questions for those of you who have some experience,

* How long is a tripod life time, am I going to use it for the next 20 - 30 years ? so the more expensive one make sense of the investment ?

* I am not a profi, I do stand for quality and lightness, money still maters, I use the tripod approximately once a week - which combo will you take ?

...and basically does it "worth" it the extra 200 euros on a tripod or better keep the rest for a new lens ?

Many thanks for any comments/thoughts
cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:14 pm 
The main difference between the two tripods, is that one is made of carbon fiber while the other is made from aluminium. From what I remember, the carbon fiber one is about half the weight of the aluminium.

So the question to you is this: Does the weight matter? There's no point buying a tripod if you find it so heavy that you are reluctant to carry it with you. Both carbon fiber and aluminium tripods will last for years and both are a very solid investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

First, I'd recommend reading my Manfrotto tripod reviews!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Manfr ... OB_tripod/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Manfr ... O3_tripod/

As for tripod life, I'm still using a set of Manfrotto legs I bought 20 years ago.

I'd go for the 055CXPRO3 over the 055CXPRO4 as the 3 leg section versions are more stable and reliable. Only go for the 4 section version if you need it to fold down smaller.