Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shooting HD anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm 
I'm curious to know if we have any 5DMII and 7D members who shoot HD with a Rig setup??

can you share what kind of setup you have?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm 

what do you class as a rig set-up???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:27 pm 
those :)
and also the Steadicam too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 pm 

i shoot HD on my 5D but i don't use a rig setup as you suggest..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm 
I also shoot HD very frequently but I do not have a rig. I am, however, considering the following options:

Glidecam 2000 pro: similar to the Merlin, but half the price. The problem with this stabilizators is that you have to balance them each time you change lenses (even if you modify the focal length!) and manipulating the camera is a pain, you'll most certainly introduce vibration (not good for focus pulls, for example).

As for rigs, my concern is their price. Those redrock micro you posted are just ridiculously expensive (IMO). Zacuto's are not much better. So I'm kind of thinking about just buying a zacuto z-finder and press the camera against my eye when filming, should provide better stabilization than just going handheld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:05 am 
Have you looked up Cavision? so much cheaper and any of above and about the same quality.

Glidecam is great too, i'm trying to see if it's cheaper to build one myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 am 
Did know tis cavision company. Thanks for the tip, their prices are definitively much better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 am 

Zacuto do some nice rigs for around $1000 but I'm not sure how practical they would be without the Z-finder viewfinder which adds another $400 or so to the price. :(

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Zacuto do some nice rigs for around $1000 but I'm not sure how practical they would be without the Z-finder viewfinder which adds another $400 or so to the price. :(

Bob.

I actually considered buying a z-finder and a tactical shooter setup. Having seen the demo I told myself that this is a new marked so if the setup has a production cost of some 30$, then they would probably demand something crazy like 500$. Then I saw the price: 1100$+400$ = another 7D ... haha, now comparing what you get, that actually IS a fun price :D I guess it is safe to say that one can make a (one size, with adjustable angle setting) home made rig similar to the tactical shooter for less than 30$. So I won’t recommend buying a rig before the market is aiming more for mass production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 pm 
yeah I agree with you Old-shaker-hand
I'm just gonna wait and watch those company compete in the race then when it's reasonable low price, then get it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:03 pm 
logic_nguyen wrote:
yeah I agree with you Old-shaker-hand
I'm just gonna wait and watch those company compete in the race then when it's reasonable low price, then get it :D

Well, at the moment I am trying to see if I it is possible for me to make some easy, smart and cheap rigs. Currently I am just waiting for some of the parts needed. If my ideas work well, I will make a post about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:27 pm 

As we've just added "rigs" to our Tripods and Mountings section I've moved this thread across to a new home. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 pm 
Talking about video rigs... Nice video here of light-footed steadicam operator. :shock: Plus a shot of a small herd of stills shooters. ;) One with a pretty big lens. :D

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm 

While waiting for the rig prices to go down, I'll wait for Sony to launch their video-DSLR as well... Can't wait to be able to shoot video with a DSLR and some nice glass, seems like a lot of fun!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 pm 

I use a DIY Steadycam. Just mount your cam on a tripod and hold it up high, using the head as a pivot point. Works good enough for a free steadycam. I shot the backwards running video with it in this film (all filmed with a D90, apologies for the script): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwo3bhwFKd4