Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: tripod on a budget
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm 
hi everyone,

i've investigated the choices of a tripod,

and my max to spend is like 165 euro's it would be great to get a good tripod a lot cheaper

i've been to my local shop and they showed me a redged... ( a rather cheap and to me flimsy one for like 90 euro...
or one for 165 euro ex ballhead for 65 euro ( nothing special, if i do want to upgrade to a bigger body than i have to buy a heavier tripod the guy told me)

in another shop they sell vanguard and that feels more than ok for like 165 euro with balljoint

so what do you reccommend for a wanna use a tripod sometimes outdoor and indoor???

i rather spend a bit a more money at a good tripod than having 2 tripods
my money has to grow and it grows slow so i like bang for buck products

sorry for my bad english and maybe a hard to realize question moneywise

thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:56 pm 

Good budget options are the Velbon (pro) and Giottos tripods (I think eagle has the giottos one and loves it?). I'm also in the market for a better tripod in about the same price range, so please let me know if you find somethign worthwhile (I'll try to do the same). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:28 pm 
hi citruspers,

the Velbon looks ok ( the pro series are expensive)
the normal Velbon sherpa serie is looking nice and sturdy, i'm investigating the differences between tripods... ( the prices are more than ok i think )

http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/alltripods.html

there's a lot of choices ( lightweight perfect for travel)

and the standard tripod (rather heavy )

it a difficult choice if you ask me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:08 pm 
yeah giottos seems to be a good budget tripod, I don't have issues with mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 am 

Maybe have a look at the Camlink pro range, UK prices are between 55 GBP and 120 GBP so that is about 60 Euro to 130 Euro.

http://www.camlink.eu.com/products/trip ... ional.html

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:14 am 
i'm thinking to get a Velbon... in the Sherpa series

@citruspers i'm gonna investigate the possible model range and hoping to get back as soon as possible !

cheers
Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:13 pm 
i got myself a benro and its not that expensive theyre ok!

Post subject: Re: tripod on a budget
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 pm 
JeroenE520 wrote:
i rather spend a bit a more money at a good tripod than having 2 tripods
my money has to grow and it grows slow so i like bang for buck products

Hi Jeroen,

I spent quite a long time looking at all kinds of tripods and tested out a few at a local shop. I started out thinking about a tripod of around €100 but after trying a Gitzo I soon realized that a €100 tripod wouldn't do it for me.

I thought about getting a Gitzo because it simply was a superb tripod but decided against spending €400 to €500. I ended up getting a Manfrotto 055XProB with 488 Midi ball head. This was a more expensive option at around €270, but this is one tripod that can last years. It can take 7kg (the head even 8kg) and it just feels very solid and well built.
If you shop around the combination should be possible for around €235. Saving money and getting a cheaper 486 ball head and 055XDB tripod could get the price down to around €180. The legs will be slightly simpler (and lighter) but still capable of 7kg and the head will do 6kg (but won't 'pan' like the 488).

I usually use the website from fotokonijnenberg to see what is available and how much to expect it to cost. (I buy at a more expensive local shop to get better service.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:35 pm 
hello Dutch,

thanks for your answer !

i'm not recieving email updates so i'm late with response ( sorry about that)

i'm gonna take a look at tripods if i got some spare money..( sorry citruspers)

thanks !!

Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:24 am 
Hi Jeroen,

Be sure to check out the tripods you're considering at a store. For me that really helped me to 'feel' the difference between different tripods.

Here's a good review of the same tripod as I bought. I also have the same head but without quick release. (personal preference)
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7063

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:42 pm 
hello guys,

here's an update from me for a tripod,

i've made my choice for a tripod and as soon as possible i'm gonna buy it

this tripod:
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/ ... 6-104.html
Vanguard Alta263 AP ( this is with a head ( panorama) i've seen it for 169 euro's ( i'm gonna try to get the lowest price)

so this is just to let you know

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:51 pm 

May I picth in a last minute suggestion? Definitely take a look at the Hama Omega Carbon II
It's a sturdy carbon tripod that definitely has the "pro" feeling to it, and a ballhead which is about as good as a 300 euro ballhead alone. Adjustable friction, baseplate screw, baseplate lock, panorama mode.
I've seen it for 200 euros

There's also the III which goes higher, has thicker legs and features a centre column that can be used as a monopod. It's 100 euros more expensive, but if you're tall like me and value the extra stability, you may want to consider it.

I've tested both tripods in a store myself, and have read a review on the III, and have talked to another photographer who has the II. Here's the (dutch) review if you're interested: http://www.dslr.nl/?cat=reviews&id=1326