Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: monopod or tripod?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am 
mhh i dont have any but please tell me with the advantages of it?

I think the plus factor of tripod is you can leave it standing?

i don't know with mono pod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:25 am 

A monopod is good if you want to prevent shakes for more spontaneous pictures, whilst a tripod will keep your cam in the same position for a longer time (good for HDR work).

I prefer the tripod, and I occasionally use it as a monopod by extending the legs, but not spreading them out in a triangle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am 
but it'l add weight? good tripods are heavy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:53 pm 
well a tripod can be a little heavier than a monopod but the more expensive ones are about 2 pounds (carbon fiber) so it is what you feel you need.

they are about the same but i like having the monopod better. it is compact and it is fairly quick to set up. it isn't as stable as a tripod would be but it does the job

JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:38 am 

Yes, a tripod is heavy. You do need to ask yourself: do I really need one? Today's cameras have great high-ISO performance, so you only really need tripods with long zoom lenses, night photography and HDR work.

Another reason I carry one is because it pretty much screams "photographer", and people won't walk into my shots :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:17 pm 
I know this is an older post but being new to the forum I am back reading.
"Both - you need a good tripod and a good monopod"
The one thing I love about my mono-pod is this. I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and desert area here in Idaho. I found a really heavy and sturdy mono-pod at Best Buy. It fits really well on my Flipside 400 AW backpack/camera bag. When hiking I use the mono-pod as a walking stick. (Due to bad knees). It is heavy enough to allow for this usage. Of course the camera is never attached while I am using it for a walking stick - but when the need arises - I place the camera on the mono-pod and attach it to my Induro pan head - for stabilizability of movement up and down it does a terrific job. I just have to make sure the side movement is very little. To me if your in a hurry and have to do a quick shot of something - the mono-pod is much faster than having to set up the tripod - and if you have the mono-pod adjusted as I do for a walking stick - it is always at the right height for taking photographs. But there are many times when you need the tripod - night photography - and other. Do not skimp on these - buy the best you can as they will last you a life time.