Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:59 am 

Let's hang out when I visit the states someday! Or if you ever come to Holland...

I did some rough calculations, and it seems to be possible to get an Alpha 900 before the BBC Public Speakers and Young Writers Awards, an event I've been asked to shoot for the second time. I really want a full frame camera, so the monopod will have to wait... Sadly.

Hope you can get yours sooner though, and enjoy the wonders of Gitzo!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:59 am 

Hey Bjorn, do you need a second shooter? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:57 pm 

You're welcome to join us Marijn! Pay for your own ticket to the States though. :)

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm 

No Bjorn, I meant for the public speakers award ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:51 pm 

For the BBC Awards. Well, I could ask whether you'd be allowed to come. It'd be fun. I had a great time at the event and I'm looking forward to going there again. I'll see what I can do Marijn!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:50 pm 

Thanks a bunch. Let's not forget to bring our monopods (that was unrelated, but I think it's time to get back on topic) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 pm 

I'm not gonna have my Gitzo monopod by then, not if I manage to get the A900 in time. Well, there's always the Staatsloterij (lottery for all those outside of our little country).

I'd consider asking this monopod as a b-day present (you know the date, don't you Tomis), but I'd probably get an A900 grip instead. No DSLR without a grip for me...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
I'd consider asking this monopod as a b-day present (you know the date, don't you Tomis), but I'd probably get an A900 grip instead. No DSLR without a grip for me...

- Bjorn -

How could i forget it? :lol:

Now you've got me all in a twist Bjorn! I as well need both of those items. What would you rather go without while shooting a sports event... a monopod, or a battery grip?

P.S.

Do you have a trip to the states planned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:59 pm 

For sports photography, a monopod is probably more useful. In pretty much all other situation, a grip is more useful. As a non-specific-sports photographer, I'd much rather have a battery grip...

Though huh?

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:12 am 
I was traveling through Salt Lake City, Utah today and i stopped at pictureline. its the largest camera store in slc. They had Gitzo reps there for the day promoting their tripods. it was awesome! they had a canon 400mm 2.8 mounted on a 50D on a sweet gitzo tripod just out on the floor for me to play with :lol: . but it was really busy, and me being a teenager they didn't take me seriously so none of the reps talked to me but the pictureline employees did. they only had the GM2561T monopod i think... anyway it was one of the smaller ones but it was really nice, very sturdy and light. it felt very well built.

I really like a lot of gitzos heads as well. i talked to a few guys there and they had had their gitzo products for years! so to answer your orginal questoin Bjorn, Yes... yes gitzo really is worth it. they all said gitzo lasts much longer then bogen/manfrotto.

I had a question that i forgot to ask them but maybe you can answer it for me...

Whats the advantage to an off center ball head?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:14 am 

Seems like you had a fun day! I'm off to Rotterdam in a sec, and I'll visit a camera store too, hopefully try out some Gitzo stuff... Good to know the men you talked to are happy about their Gitzo products!

I was wondering the same thing, what the advantage of the off center ball heads is. This is what Gitzo says:

Quote:
Thanks to its unique design, this new range of Gitzo Off Center Ball Heads allows for unsurpassed positioning freedom by offering an range of movements that are otherwise impossible with conventional ball heads.

What I'd think though, judging by the name "off center", is that with one mounted on a monopod (instead of a tripod), the whole thing isn't as stable as it could me. With the weight of the camera off the centre, it would have a tendency to fall to a side, and the great thing about using a regular monopod is that you can rest the camera on it without having to do too much for keeping it there. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure whether it would be worse than a center ball head, but it might just be...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:11 pm 

Just got back... Well, didn't get to try a lot of Gitzo. There's two photography superstores around, and we (my folks and myself) had gone shopping near the biggest, which I knew had lots of Gitzo stuff. I'd told my dad I wanted to go to the camera store after we were done shopping. When we were, he drove to the wrong store....... :roll:

Next time's better, I hope. I only got to hold some tripods and a tiny monopod today... Oh, and an A900, D3, 1Ds...

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:02 pm 
Bummer! :( Thats to bad i'm sorry to hear that. I always hate when i have to be driven around by my parents. When i went to BH photo in NYC i was there for 4 hours! luckly i went alone as i don't think any of my friends / family members would have been patient enough to hang around that long. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:43 pm 

I didn't like being driver there either, but I'm still quite some weeks away from getting my own license... :(

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:14 pm 

I'm off to the camera store I originally intended to go to in a minute, hopefully to try some more Gitzo!

- Bjorn -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next