Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:13 pm 

It still helps enhance your stability more than stabilisation alone. Also it takes the weight off you.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:57 am 
popo wrote:
...Also it takes the weight off you.

Exactly! My 70-200mm 2.8 IS L is a beast! it along with my 40D weigh over 5 pounds! that may not sound like much but when you have to take pictures for 6+ hours it becomes really heavy... even after 10 minutes i find my self putting the camera down for a rest but then miss shots cause i dont have it ready. ...Another plus to the monopod it keeps your camera ready and aimed at your subject to fire away!

A 2.8 lens with IS shouldn't need a tripod much unless your doing long exposures.

I could use a tripod but i'll be by in a crowded area by a lot of people who could easily trip over it. and tripods take 3x longer to set up! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:39 am 

Tomis wrote:
... ah 5 feet 3 inches! i'm almost 6' (180 cm). Do you think that 5'3" (160cm) is tall enough for me to stand up and look through with my 70-200mm collar mounted (collar to view finder is 11cm)? and i'll probably have a ballhead/quick release on there as well so that adds another 2.4" (6cm). so my view finder will be approximately 176mm high. My eye level is 166cm so i think i can do just fine with the shorter one. i wouldn't even need a ballhead/quick release! or wait can you use a monopod for sports photography without a ball head?

Yes, you can use the monopod without a ball head for sports photography, but trust me, it isn't great to use it that way. If you want to get your horizon in a certain place, you'll have to move the camera back and forth instead of just adjusting the head. I've tried it a couple of times and it's really uncomfortable.
You may want to use the monopod with another lens as well, so my might not always have the collar on. And when you're using a ball head + camera with small lens, and you want to switch to a portrait orientation, the viewfinder will be significantly lower (see sketch below).

So while 5'3" would be enough with a 70-200mm and possibly a ball head, it will be too short with another set-up, so you'll have to bend down, something I wouldn't want to do when using a monopod...

podgeorge wrote:
Hang on a minute everyone, i thought that the purpose of IS/VR/OS, was that you didn't need to take a tripod or monopod with you So why do you need a monopod so much Tomis and Bjorn??

As popo and Tomis already explained, it can really help to take the weight off of you. I just put my camera and 70-200mm on the monopod and hold it, simple as that. While it is not a significant advantage when using, say, a 50mm f/1.4, it is when you have a heavy lens mounted. And it really helps with longer exposures as well, better than image stabilisation...
Another advantage Tomis already mentioned is that the camera is always ready for action. You don't have to take it off your shoulder, just put your eye to the viewfinder and you're ready to shoot. I've shot pictures at Christmas celebrations at my school, all with a tripod, because it's just so much easier.
Another advantage is when you want to shoot from a lower angle. Sitting down and holding my camera + long lens steady isn't always easy for me, it often results in a lot of movement. With a monopod, most of that movement is taken away...

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:38 pm 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
Tomis wrote:
... ah 5 feet 3 inches! i'm almost 6' (180 cm). Do you think that 5'3" (160cm) is tall enough for me to stand up and look through with my 70-200mm collar mounted (collar to view finder is 11cm)? and i'll probably have a ballhead/quick release on there as well so that adds another 2.4" (6cm). so my view finder will be approximately 176mm high. My eye level is 166cm so i think i can do just fine with the shorter one. i wouldn't even need a ballhead/quick release! or wait can you use a monopod for sports photography without a ball head?

Yes, you can use the monopod without a ball head for sports photography, but trust me, it isn't great to use it that way. If you want to get your horizon in a certain place, you'll have to move the camera back and forth instead of just adjusting the head. I've tried it a couple of times and it's really uncomfortable.
You may want to use the monopod with another lens as well, so my might not always have the collar on. And when you're using a ball head + camera with small lens, and you want to switch to a portrait orientation, the viewfinder will be significantly lower (see sketch below).

So while 5'3" would be enough with a 70-200mm and possibly a ball head, it will be too short with another set-up, so you'll have to bend down, something I wouldn't want to do when using a monopod...

- Bjorn -

I see, it won't always work out. And these gitzo monopods last a life time so i'm sure there will be a time in my life where i wished i had that extra length. and i'm still growing so a year down the road i may wish i had the length as well.

Now the question is who will buy theirs first? Bjorn or Me? I'm not telling my friends how much I spent on a collapsable stick with a screw on the top :lol: They already think i'm crazy enough! I was saving for a bogen tripod head / legs but i think i'll keep using the crappy tripod i got for free and spend the tripod money on a monopod.

Lets talk ball heads... What ball head are you going to buy Bjorn? (if you're going to buy one)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:25 pm 

I don't intend to buy mine anytime soon (see my signature, I want a full frame first). So you'll probably get it before I do...

I'd like a GH2780QR ball head *coughs*... maybe it's better if I stick with a Manfrotto head till I win a little prize in the lottery.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 am 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
I don't intend to buy mine anytime soon (see my signature, I want a full frame first). So you'll probably get it before I do...

I'd like a GH2780QR ball head *coughs*... maybe it's better if I stick with a Manfrotto head till I win a little prize in the lottery.

- Bjorn -

That ball head is more than the monopod!!!

holy cow that brand is expensive! i probably won't buy mine for a few months either. I'm looking to spend <40 USD on a ball head.

this is the only one i have really looked at as i dont plan on spending a great deal yet. in the future i can always upgrade.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:26 pm 

I know, it's ridiculously expensive. It's got some extra features I'd like to have, but for this price, a ball head from Manfrotto would do. As you said, an upgrade is always possible later...

The head you linked to doesn't look very convenient, it doesn't go sideways. A ball head on a monopod, I think, is a better option. I have this one at the moment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... Quick.html

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 pm 
I've been doing some more research on Gitzo products and i think when i'm ready to make the leap to a nice tripod it will be a Gitzo. A Gitzp monopod will have to do for now. I really like the GH2780QR ball head. Bjorn you seem to know your Gitzo... if you money was no object what tripod system would you buy?

...And one more question, have you ever heard of Really Right Stuff?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/02.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 pm 

Yes, I've heard of Really Right Stuff. They don't sell their stuff in Holland though, so I don't know much about it.

If I won the lottery, I'd get the Gitzo Traveler Titanium Limited Edition, the Ocean Traveler GK1581OT and GT3541XLS tripods. All have their different uses. The last one is the only one I'd actually consider buying without winning the lottery.
As heads, well, the GH2780QR I mentioned earlier, and a G1570M and GH5750QR.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 pm 
Wow, I really like your taste in camera equipment Bjorn! What Gitzo tripod would you buy for hiking? or would you use a monopod? and i like those legs, i personally dislike center columns i find them a pain to operate. I'm so excited to order my monopod!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:46 pm 

I don't do too much hiking really, and it depends which I would buy. Out of the three above, I'd probably get the GT3541XLS. However, if you hike in areas with rivers or other water areas, the Ocean Traveler GK1581OT is ideal. That doesn't go up quite that high though...
Ideally I'd buy the Traveller Titanium for any kind of use, but given it's as expensive as an Alpha 900 body, I wouldn't buy that unless I won the lottery or started earning thousands of euros a month (remember, 18 years old, I don't get paid that much...).

You really should have a look on Gitzo's website. They've divided their website in different categories and it's easy to find the tripod that suits you best.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 am 
Whoa! the Ocean Traveler series is very cool! i need like three tripods now... one for macro and close up work, one for heavy lenses (when i get a 400mm or 600mm lens) and one for hiking thats light and durable. (Being 19 i don't make much either :cry: ) but if I did it would all go towards camera gear!

Is it possible to use a tripod as a monopod by only extending one leg? I really want to see if a monopod will work for me before I make this kind of investment. (and when i do i'll be sure to support the site Gordon)

Thanks for all your help Bjorn! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:08 am 

Hi Tomis,

The trouble with extending only one leg is that you end up with an axis of rotation where the leg attaches to the rest of the tripod. The only way around that that I can see would be to strap the top of the extended leg to the other legs and, if present, the retracted center column.

My own choice of hiking tripod is mentioned in my Sig.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 am 

I wouldn't want to use a tripod with only one leg extended. It's heavy, bigger and because of the tripod design, it may want to fall to one side. I guess it'd be far from ideal.

You're welcome Tomis! Doing some research for you allows me to learn more about Gitzo products too!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 am 
I just wanted to try using my tripod as a monopod to see if i like the concept. Monopods don't pivot with the camera?

Bjorn, too bad your located on the other side globe could or we hang out, I can see us being great friends!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next