Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:02 am 
Ok. First this thread is not about buying a new DSLR. But rather about whether I should spend $400.00 US on monopod accessories from Really Right Stuff. This is what I'm thinking of for my Induro carbon fibre monopod...

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdes ... LR&eq=&Tp=

What this gives me is movement on the y-axis (vertical). Not just x-axis movement if I simply screwed my D300 onto the monopod. Plus it would allow me to angle the lens down or up while panning left to right. Without this I would be stuck panning left to right with the lens pointed straight ahead. Eye level.

Thing is...I bought this monopod last September. Have never touched it since. Guess the circumstances never called for a monopod. Knowing this should I even bother considering spending 4x the value of my monopod on the RRS gear? I'm thinking I "might" or "most probably will" use it later. And when I do...wouldn't it be better if I was able to angle the lens up and down along the y-axis? In addition to being able to pan left and right on the x-asis while having the lens perpendicular to the ground or angled up or down. Making the monopod more useful?

Have any of you bought this attachment for your monopods? Just can't say I won't have a $500.00 monopod/RRS head setup that will end up spending most of it's time in the closet.

Shrugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 am 

Uh, no. Not for $400. That's just insane considering you won't want to use it. I handhold everything I possibly can and I love it that way, it's much more enjoyable to hand hold imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:13 am 
Shagrath wrote:
Uh, no. Not for $400. That's just insane considering you won't want to use it. I handhold everything I possibly can and I love it that way, it's much more enjoyable to hand hold imo.

It is a bit nuts. I agree. Paying for some add-ons that are worth 4x more than the monopod itself. Even if it does give me access to the y-axis. Probably why I haven't already taken the plunge. That and I haven't used my monopod once since I bought it. I too prefer to handhold. But at the same time I do see the value in using a monopod. That's my dilemma.

There will be instances later I'm sure where a monopod would come in handy. Any time you no longer need to support the camera's weight leaves your hands free to do other things. And pretty much eliminates camera shake.

I suppose for now I'll hold off and see how things go without purchasing the RRS monopod head kit.

I will be buying the big 70-200 f/2.8 Nikkor and that lens weighs in at roughly 3 pounds. Should be able to handhold that with my D300 for a little while. Failing that I should be able to find support using the environment. Propping myself against something inanimate. There's usually a way to get around it.

Besides, I was watching a Nikon video featuring a Sports Illustrated American photographer. He was handholding his D3 with what I think was a 600 mm lens! And when not handholding that beast he had the lens on his monopod w/o any monopod head. Just the lens bracket screwed into the monopod. That's it. Even a seasoned pro. None of the other guys he was talking to in this video clip (also pros I'm sure) had monopod heads either.

So who buys these RRS monopod heads? If not amateurs like me nor pros? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 am 

That's interesting. It's marketed to people who think they need it, but as you can see from the pros, they don't. You should see how well your cheap unused monopod works first! Maybe it will really work for 99% of the situations you're in. I'd much rather spend $400 on other accessories. Put it towards faster glass or a flash, then you can hand hold again. $400 is a lot of money imo. Unless you already have everything you want (who does?) then I'd say hold off on that monopod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:14 pm 
Shagrath wrote:
That's interesting. It's marketed to people who think they need it, but as you can see from the pros, they don't. You should see how well your cheap unused monopod works first! Maybe it will really work for 99% of the situations you're in. I'd much rather spend $400 on other accessories. Put it towards faster glass or a flash, then you can hand hold again. $400 is a lot of money imo. Unless you already have everything you want (who does?) then I'd say hold off on that monopod.

I'll probably forget about it for now. $400 US worth of monopod accessories...hmmm...carbon fiber monopod worth $130...most pros don't feel a need for them...

As for a flash I have one. As you can see listed. The SB800 is a flash. :)

Fast lenses? Sure. I have several more on my shortlist (e.g. Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8...). They should hold me over for a while. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 pm 

All good points. I'm just saying that $400 is a lot of money for a monopod, maybe you value it a lot more than I do though! Perhaps it depends on what you photograph most. What I do when I'm unsure if I want to buy anything is sleep on it and wait maybe a day or two. If I'm still itching to have it after that and haven't found something cheaper and better then I buy it! But there has to be such a small amount of doubt in my head for me to get it. And so far, everything I buy I use. I don't regret any purchases I've made as far as photography goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:14 pm 
Shagrath wrote:
All good points. I'm just saying that $400 is a lot of money for a monopod, maybe you value it a lot more than I do though! Perhaps it depends on what you photograph most. What I do when I'm unsure if I want to buy anything is sleep on it and wait maybe a day or two. If I'm still itching to have it after that and haven't found something cheaper and better then I buy it! But there has to be such a small amount of doubt in my head for me to get it. And so far, everything I buy I use. I don't regret any purchases I've made as far as photography goes.

I understand what you mean. But for me it's different. While I might not use it now I'm thinking I might later. Actually I thought I would have been using it already but it just hasn't workout that way. :) I guess it will be one of those items I'll use should the situation require. Like some indoor photography. Or any where there is very low light and I will need a slower shutter speed and don't want to carry a tripod.

As I said. I don't think I'll buy the RRS gear for now. Not crazy about spending 4x the value of my carbon fiber monopod on accessories. Perhaps in a few years when I'm more sure of the type of photography I'm interested in. Though, I have to admit I've hardly been doing any action or sports photography.

Any how on with other topics...cya around the forum! :)