Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 pm 
I use and enjoy my custom RAM mount. That pashnit article above has a broken link, but enough clues to help you find the site.

They offer many components sorted by what i want to call "shank" size, though it's based on the ball size.

You can mix and match (which makes it relatively custom) - arm, second arm, extra ball joint, etc. Too much and you'll lose stability, but not enough and you eat vibration.

I highly recommend getting a few extra strips of rubber, and if you can spare the real estate on your handle bars (I ride a cruiser so I can, but if you ride sport/crotch you probably will want to design an easier/smaller mount).

Mine was $36 USD. Extremely happy so far. Works very well w/ my point-and-shoot and my HD camcorder. Never going to put the new baby on it, at least not w/o the windshield going back on.

-c
Canon 50D <--still in honeymoon phase!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:19 am 
Here's a link to the video on youtube taken with the mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yvrxYRTck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:57 am 
Nice job on the mount!
I'd suggest that you put a couple of penny washers between the camera body and the wing nut. Since, in use, the camera is going to be vigourously shaken I think they'd reduce the load applied around the female thread in the bottom of the camera by reducing the "bending moment" experienced around the thread in the camera's base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm 
Hey thats not a bad idea... i also think DV cameras aren't the best for this application because they can't handle all the extra stress, the tape doesn't do the best for recording in a rough environment. i really need a camera that records to a hard drive or some sort of flash memory. next im going to try duck taping it to my helmet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:18 pm 

Tomis wrote:
Hey thats not a bad idea... i also think DV cameras aren't the best for this application because they can't handle all the extra stress, the tape doesn't do the best for recording in a rough environment. i really need a camera that records to a hard drive or some sort of flash memory. next im going to try duck taping it to my helmet.

Ditch the harddrive idea, harddrives are as prone (or even more) to shocks as tape. Flash should be fine though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, flash memory is the best medium for this kind of treatment. You could grab an old compact camera with a VGA movie mode and use that, although of course some older models have time limitations on the clips...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:04 pm 
Thinking on this I think a friend has a camera set up for a road bike. Another friend was, I think, talking about borrowing it for a trip through France. I can't remember friend 1's email address but if you PM me your email address I think I can get a request through to him to contact you.