Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:41 pm 
Hi,
Did anyone of you had the chans of trying out the carbonfiber-version of the popular 055 XPROB? Its called Manfrotto 055 CX PRO3 ?

Would like to know how you compare those two tripods in terms of stability.

Thanks,
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:37 am 
I just bought the 055XPROB + 486RC2 Ball Head, and i did see the carbon-fibre version and held it side by side. As far as i recall the carbon fibre was much lighter though, but the price heavier :( so guess if weight is an issue and you have extra $$$.

But i would certainly agree it would be stronger in real life conditions.
Besides im a newbie SLR-user, so the major damage was done on the 50D already, so no carbon-fibre for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 am 
Hey Campo,
Thanks for your input.

Me to had the chanse of comparing these two in the shop, and you're absolutelly right. The Carbon-version is much lighter. I'd say its comparable with the 190-tripod in weight.

I did however not get the chanse of trying the tripods out in "real life" situations. The dealer wouldnt let me step outside and try them out. Cant say i blame him with a crook-looking guy like me :)

What im thinking is... Carbonfiber is supposed to be as durable and stable as the metal, but it would be nice to hear from someone if they are built the same way and deliver the same quality.

Then i'm also thinking.... hmm, maybe light weight is more of a downside than actually beeing a good thing?

Weight will kepp your gear more still and stable in case of a windgust or stuff like that. So maybe the extra weight actuelly is a good thing.

Thanks,
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 pm 
I'm assuming you are also looking for a head joint? Maybe invest in a better head joint to compensate. I have been looking at the new hydrostatic versions, but still sifting through reviews. In Australia these retail at minimum $300.

Since your in Sweden, my mate is going there for a business trip so if it's cheaper there I may succumb to an upgrade!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 pm 
Yep, im actually looking at the 490RC4 at the moment.
But there are some really cool stuff from "Really Right Stuff" and some other brands to...

I have to try those hydrostatic ones to, but i know how its gonna be.... if i try it, i just have to buy it.

unfortunately i have to inform you that the pricetag for this kind of stuff in sweden is very high. I've heard people buying weekends to New York just to buy camerastuff. They do buy lots of stuff tho, and they're gambleing with the fact that they can get caught in custom.

It might be so tho, that you can get the tax back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:41 pm 
Going to New York just to buy camera gear is crazy imo.. Wow

If i go overseas, i can get 10% off which is the tax, as long as i keep the flight receipt. Its pretty much the standard here in Aust.

FYI, best price here for the 490RC4 is $328.00