Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 pm 

Hi Guys (and maybe Gals)

I am looking for a replacement for my tripod, my main uses will be for landscape (hiking) and macro.

With regard to macro I would like to be able to setthe tipod up and then have the camera move around on a horizontal (or similar) axis as well as being able to use it for ground level work.

I have been looking at a few but felt that I should check out the wisdom of the forum before parting with my pennies :D

Any suggestions ?

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:40 am 

Hello Stuey,

What kind of lenses are you going to be using with the Tripod? Heavy or light? If your planning on putting a big telezoom that weighs 1,5kg on it you need something that will be sturdy and light (and expensive), if not, you might want to go for the light manfrotto 785B (Though I would suggest changing the head on it, especially if you have a kit that weighs more than a kilo) http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/4006/lang/en

If not that one, I would advise you to go for a tripod made of Carbon, though theres a considerable price jump involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:16 pm 
the tripod that i have my heart set on is the Bogen 190XproB with a 486 ball head, i also plan to use this for macro shots and hiking. this particular setup would allow you to move your camera horizontally like your talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Stuey, I know where you're coming from as I do most of my landscape photography while hiking.

I see two main facts with tripods.

The second most effective tripod is the sturdiest, and that inevitably means big and heavy.

The number one most effective tripod is the one you actually take out and use rather than leave at home because it's too big and heavy!

Therein lies the problem. My compromise is to use a Gorillapod SLR Zoom with a ball head when hiking, bit it's far from ideal, especially if there's nothing to attach it to. All I can say though is I've owned a number of smaller, lighter travel tripods and all have either disappointed - or broken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:29 pm 
Don't forget, when you buy support the site! You can do so just buy purchasing your item from the pricegrabber ad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

That's right Tomis, thanks!

Or of course our affiliate shopping page...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Therein lies the problem. My compromise is to use a Gorillapod SLR Zoom with a ball head when hiking, bit it's far from ideal, especially if there's nothing to attach it to. All I can say though is I've owned a number of smaller, lighter travel tripods and all have either disappointed - or broken!

What ball head do you use on the Gorillapod SLR Zoom? I've got the same and have an A200 and am looking for a ball head for that, but being a DSLR newbie I'm not sure what the best makes are or particularly what to look for & avoid with a ball head.

Thx"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:48 pm 
AndyR wrote:
I'm not sure what the best makes are or particularly what to...avoid with a ball head.

Ball heads in general. lol

Ball heads are unpopular with a lot of photographers (including me), however some photographers love them.

As for manufacturers, as many people will tell you, tripods (and heads) made by Manfrotto and Gitzo are very good, although I use Giottos, which is often overlooked by people choosing tripods. I have been very happy with mine (although I am upgrading to a carbon fibre model).

Any tripod is good for landscape as long as it is high enough to be comfortable to use and is stable (i.e. not an "el cheapo" tripod). For macro, I recommend looking at tripods with an adjustable centre column which can be tilted away from vertical (like these: http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&cat=49130e801a374&product=49185f7ddd445) as this will allow you to get closer to the subject.

Of course, as with anything, it all comes down to budget but I recommend buying the best tripod you can, as it is one of the most important pieces of equipment a photographer carries and is likely to last a long time.

Also: if you plan to use your tripod in cold weather, make sure you get one with foam grips at the top of the legs (especially if it is metal) to give some extra insulation against the cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:34 pm 
Brill, thanks for the comments. Think at the moment I need a ball head as I only have my Gorillapod SLR Zoom, and am moving to Oz and as such am trying to travel light. I'd prefer a ball head to give me the adjustment once I've got the gorillapod fixed in place, so I'll have a look at the Manfrotto & Gitzo ones you suggested.

Thx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:15 am 
A pretty detailed discussion of the Markins ballheads is here. I have seen similar remarks as Gordon's around the web. The experienced photographers all related their stories of buying cheap and storing it in their trunk before paying for lightweight and quality. I am saving my money hoping to do it right the first time. Good luck and hope the info helps your quest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:46 pm 

Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies and sorry for the delay in replying, I have had numerous niggles (including complete hard drive failure) to contend with since making this post, nothing serious otherwise just loads of little bits of real life stopping me from enjoying myself :(

I have had to shelve the idea of a new tripod for a while as finances are not as I would have hoped (Car repairs, decorating, 5 year old son's birthday etc etc) - so having sacrificed the new tripod for a while at least it gives me more time for research.

I agree with Gordon's comments entirely but need to point out that if it works for me whilst in use then I'm daft enough to carry it if at all possible.

My lenses are not the heaviest or most numerous, I have the 18-55 kit lens, Sigma 70-300 apo dg macro and the sigma 50mm f2.8 dg macro.

The kit I tend to carry is my K10D, spare battery, numerous filters, 3 lenses, sd cards, cleanings kit etc.

All of this tends to be packed in my lowepro dryzone rover with hydrapack generally fairly full so all in all it's a fairly weighty lot but I am lucky enough to be fit enough for this not to be a concern, at least for now. I appreciate that I should also look at the future but I'll plan for now and adjust at a later date as and when needed.

The Benbo tripods have caught my attention but I feel that I would be best 'playing' with one first but I may have to make a fairly long journey to do so but this, I think, may well be worth it.

Does anyone out there have experience of a Benbo?

Cheers

Stu.

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 pm 
Sorry to hear you've been having a hard time lately. I too have suffered from a hard drive failure in the past and it's one of the most infuriating things which can happen.

I don't have any experience with Benbo tripods, but I have had a look at them online and they look good. As you say, it's always a good idea to try them out, but if you can't get to somewhere to try one out then looking up tripod reviews on the internet can give you a good idea of how good they are.