Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 pm 
I'm hoping Bob will chime in with a mini review of this ball head b/c I am really leaning towards getting one. Will be for D80 with 70-300 max and a SB800. This should not put me over more than 6 lbs. I'm thinking of dropping it on top of a set of carbon legs to make packing on hikes less of a strain. The weight to strength ratio is awesome.

Anyone have any experience with this ball head?

Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:01 pm 

Hi Hawk,

Unfortunately I can't offer you a review because I never got to handle one. I very nearly bought the Q3 Emille but in the end preferred the Arca-Swiss Z1 DP package I reviewed because it came with the second pano head already fitted.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Also look at the kirk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 pm 
I was considering a Markins head as well, until I realized that the tension control knob was set inside another knob and controlled with your finger nail or a coin.... or something. That's fine most of the year, but if you are taking photos in the winter.... gloves might make it hard to adjust.

So I went with a Kirk Bh-3... Its a great head and totally reliable. It also comes with an arca-swiss compatible plate, which is nice, save a little money.

I also looked at the acra-tech models... They are really cool, but in the end I chose to save a little money with the kirk. Which still has a great rep.

Cullman also makes pretty good heads, they are a lot less expensive, and they are actually pretty nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 am 
Hawk,

I don't have experience with the Markins but they are the favored head on the Nikonians forum. There is a good review here. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts as you shop for the legs and head and reasons for your final decision.