Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm 
I just go into photography b/c I love to hike out west (US) in the mountains. My little point and shoot just never captured the scene scapes, so I got a Nikon D80 and am learning how to take outdoor landscape photos.

I need a quality tripod that is collapsable and lightweight that I could attach to my camera backpack.

Recommendations? There are soooooo many out there. And I'm exhaused from camera research to start on tripods :D . Need to spend time with the manual and camera now.

Thanks for your help and noob support!!
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:14 pm 

Hi John,

You can see my own choice from my Signature. It might help others in their advice if you could give us a very rough idea of your budget.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:29 pm 
Hi Bob,

I was thinking around $100 with mount and everything. But as usual $100 ends up being $200..$250.. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. :lol:

I prefer to cry once and have quality than buy junk 4-5 times. Now to me quality and price are not always synonomous but I am also a firm beliver if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Clear as bricks right?

I also wanted to ask what is a good height? I'm 6'4". So do I wan to get a giant tripod to be at least as tall as me at full extension?

I'm using a Nikon D80 with the stock kit lens which I would say is no more than 4 lbs. And my next lens will not add too much more to the total.. maybe 5lbs for the whole package.

Thanks again,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:45 pm 
Well, Manofrotto tripods are very good, and very popular! Although they are quite pricey! I have a Velbon (see sig) tripod, which is brialliant for the price, also it is very well made, although it is the base model in its class! So i can recommend the Velbon Sherpa range! Also Velbon have a much better quick release syatem than Manofrotto :twisted:
Hope that helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 pm 
Would this be a good starting combo?

Bogen - Manfrotto 055XWNB Wilderness Tripod Legs w/Leg Protectors & Rubber/spike feet (Height 2.8 - 71.3", Maximum Load 15.4) $160 US

Bogen - Manfrotto Midi Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect - Supports 17.6 lbs $100 US

I looked at the carbon fiber versions but $400 for legs seems steep right now as I am assembling equipment.

I can upgrade later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:57 pm 
That looks great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:02 pm 

hawk45 wrote:
...I prefer to cry once and have quality than buy junk 4-5 times...

You'll enjoy Tom Hogan's article then.

I'm slightly taller than you but I find that bending down to frame landscapes isn't a huge issue even though with the center column extended the viewfinder is still a good foot below my normal eye height. If I want the best stability I frame with the center column up, then retract it and tweak slightly as needed to allow for any change in perspective. Having a very smooth and easily controllable ballhead helps a great deal.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
I'm slightly taller than you but I find that bending down to frame landscapes isn't a huge issue even though with the center column extended the viewfinder is still a good foot below my normal eye height.
Bob.

you're tall Bob....

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:00 pm 

I have a 30 year old Velbon tripod, and I must say the quality is excellent. It can still keep up with most tripods these days ;)