Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:02 pm 

I'm willing to go $200 or less on this.

She's a photo journalist major, graduating next semester... shoots Nikon.

Something light, so... Carbon Fiber? How many levels? 3? 5? I know she doesn't like the twisting locks.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:07 pm 
Damn..a monopod. That will really show how much you love her :wink: lol j.k

I've used a monopod with a grip release. So you squeeze the grip, and it extends. Manfrotto make them, but I'm sure you could get another brand. I don't really think she needs a carbon fibre one as that will be pretty expensive but it's up to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 pm 

Yeah... but as a photo journalist I think it's critical for her to be able to lug it around with ease as she interviews various people. I'm down with carbon fiber, even if it makes the price jump. I remember checking out a monopod where you squeeze the grip and it extends and she was having problems doing it. It was a demo monopod though... so it probably was abused. I think she likes the clip lock style...

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:38 pm 
theplatypus wrote:
Yeah... but as a photo journalist I think it's critical for her to be able to lug it around with ease as she interviews various people. I'm down with carbon fiber, even if it makes the price jump. I remember checking out a monopod where you squeeze the grip and it extends and she was having problems doing it. It was a demo monopod though... so it probably was abused. I think she likes the clip lock style...

IMHO, you don't use a tripod for interviewing people. Can you honestly tell me you've seen someone rushing in and out of a riot, or something that says photo journalism with a monopod? She'd get more use out of a decent flash if she hasn't got one already. You use a monopod when you have a tele lens such as a 70-200 F2.8 and don't have image stabilization, and generally when you are in low light and have to use slower shutter speeds.

If it were me however, I would take a look at strobist.com and his blog, and see what books he recommends. There are a few very highly recommended ones on photojournalism.

On the other hand, it's your gift idea, so who am I to say what you should get her. I guess she's keen on one from what you've mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:59 pm 
I really like Berlebach products a lot. http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:21 pm 

She had to borrow one from the University when she was doing stories in the Sports section. Then one more time when she did a story on surfing. So it's becoming somewhat of a need. I can always go with a gorillaPod and perhaps some filters instead. Perhaps a Holga/Diana+? LOL...

I really want to get her a Wolverine or Epson P-3000 but that's some expensive stuff!

Thanks for the links guys. I'll continue to research.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:00 pm 
Next time mention she does shoots sports stuff first :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:25 pm 

LOL... you know... it all makes sense in my head but I forget those critical details! Ha!

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!