Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 pm 

I recently picked up a Kaiser copy stand off Craigslist for next to nothing ($60 CDN).
I want to use it to archive family documents that are too frail & too large for a scanner.

I ought to mention: I am a complete amateur. I came to this forum in the hopes of learning. I have never taken a photography class and I know nothing than a handful of tips I've picked up over time.

I did some preliminary tests. The edges appear warped, almost giving a fish-eye effect.
I used a simple Canon P & S.

Do I need a particular lens to get a balance shot?
Is an SLR camera essential to this kind of picture taking?
Was would be causing this distortion?

I apologize if these are bonehead questions. Again, I have come here to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 am 

Quote:
The edges appear warped, almost giving a fish-eye effect.

Without seeing an example (with EXIF data), this is just a stab in the dark, but it's possible that the lens on whatever camera you're using is not rectilinear at whatever focal length you're shooting at. Fancy/technical way of saying you might get better results -- at least as far as the "warping" is concerned -- if you zoom in more (which will mean you will have to move the camera back to get the same framing).

And no, you don't necessarily have to use a DSLR since this seems, at this point, to be more about the lens than the camera.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:32 pm 

Maestro wrote:
Quote:
The edges appear warped, almost giving a fish-eye effect.

Without seeing an example (with EXIF data), this is just a stab in the dark, but it's possible that the lens on whatever camera you're using is not rectilinear at whatever focal length you're shooting at. Fancy/technical way of saying you might get better results -- at least as far as the "warping" is concerned -- if you zoom in more (which will mean you will have to move the camera back to get the same framing).

And no, you don't necessarily have to use a DSLR since this seems, at this point, to be more about the lens than the camera.

Mark

I guess that's it. Thank you for the easy-to-understand explanation. I'm in the market for a new camera, so I guess I need to specify that it can shoot rectilinear images, too.