Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:22 pm 

Last night I broke out the camera again and was having a play with my fifty on it.

These shots are taken from almost overhead (don't know what constellation or part of its showing, sorry) And I have done two conversions. I don't really know what Im doing with these hence the differences.

Both shots are 145 x 5 sec exposures combined in Deep Sky Stacker, then tweaked in PS.

Can anyone comment on the 'ball' that has appeared on the first image? Is is a result of over-manipulation?

Number 1

Number 2

Any general comments always welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:49 pm 
Hi
They're really good, could that light, have been from light, entering the viewfinder, on one of the shots? Also, am a newb to astrophotography, but would i be right in thinking you just take one image, or combine several, like a HDR?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:58 pm 

Hi Ed,

These shots are made up from 145 frames each 5 seconds long. Each frame is then combined in Deep Sky Stacker to resolve more detail. DSS calculates star positions then uses these to stack the frames exactly on ontop of the other. The other option is to use something like startrails which just adds the frames together giving streaks across the frame.

You could be right about light entering from the viewfinder as I did not close this off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:03 pm 
Digz wrote:
145 frames each 5 seconds long.
:shock:

Ok thanks, i understand now, with my 40D, on the strap, there is a piece, of rubber which fits over the viewfinder, once you have taken the eyecup
off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:49 am 

Now thats ingenius! With my camera there is a plastic slide that you can put over the eyepiece, which Ive put in a really safe place, if you know what I mean!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:02 am 

I guess that's why higher end cameras have the switch you can flip that moves a shade over the viewfinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 am 
yeh, slthough it might get kinda annoying if you dont use the viewfinder curtain that often, and keep flicking it down. I have never actually had to use my rubber thing, which fit onto the viewfinder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 pm 

Hi Digz,

So where was the Milky Way during this shot? I think you'll see a huge difference when you get that tracking mount or similar. You'll be able to use significantly longer exposure times and then your problem is more likely to be filtering out sky glow from the local street lighting rather than trying to pull in nebulosity from the sensor's own noise levels.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:02 pm 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input. I think the Milky Way might have been out of shot on this, although I couldn't be 100% sure. I was pointing the camera NE and almost overhead. I think I need to learn my away around the stars a bit better so I can be more precise, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:22 pm 

Ok here are two more images taken the same night but this time pointed roughly towards M31 (I hope I got this right.)

Again I did two conversions and the same ball of light became apparent which does lead me to believe it is light entering through the eyepiece.

These are 20 x 5sec images stacked in DSS. Can anyone tell me what the object is to the bottom right? It looks like the beginnings of another galaxy or is it distortion from the edge of my lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

You'd need to tell us the focal lenght of your lens to give an idea of the field of view in your image (and if it's cropped), but yes, at first glance it looks like M31. It's a really bright Galaxy from our location, and can popup in lots of wide photos of the night sky - see the last two images in this gallery!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon5D/page5.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:07 am 

Sorry Gordon, should have said that these were taken at 50mm and I was trying to aim at M31 and its uncropped :-)