Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Frame stacking
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 am 

Hi Bob!
Your astro photos are out of this world! (no pun intended) :) Can you explain how frame stacking works? Are there specific software programs I will need or does the 40D's bundled software work? That is, the software included with the camera?
Thanx again to all you Camera labs members! You all are the best!!

Well again I have posted to the wrong forum:( Please, feel free to move it to the tech forum. Sorry :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 am 

Thanks for the compliment but I'm a rank amateur. One of the masters of the art is forum member Greg Parker, who goes by the name cybermystic. Have a look at some of his posts and visit his web-site and be amazed!

There are a number of programs out there. The program I use is IRIS which is free and has a strong user community. It also has a rough and quirky user interface but there is a lot of power hidden away if you spend time with it. Another program which is, I believe, well regarded is MaximDL. MaximDSLR is also available from the same company.

Bob.

P.S. Yep, I moved the post. I briefly considered the Imaging Software forum but as this question is specific to astrophotography this seems a more natural place.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 pm 

This is incredible...since I joined Camera Labs, I have tried to visit every one's web/flicker, have spent some time lingering over Gregs' web, looking at his work, and ultimately think this is absolutely perfection..it is an amazing journey, to a world we would never know, without this phenomenal photographer, and his peers....don't miss the chance to see his work...as Bob, (no slouch in his own right), says...you need to see these wonders...perfectly executed and presented...awe inspiring..
technically and visually superb.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:13 pm 

patti wrote:
This is incredible...since I joined Camera Labs, I have tried to visit every one's web/flicker, have spent some time lingering over Gregs' web, looking at his work, and ultimately think this is absolutely perfection..it is an amazing journey, to a world we would never know, without this phenomenal photographer, and his peers....don't miss the chance to see his work...as Bob, (no slouch in his own right), says...you need to see these wonders...perfectly executed and presented...awe inspiring..
technically and visually superb.

patti

Keep going! Keep going! Don't stop there :D

I'm just very pleased you like them. Even though I took them, and even though I am a Physics Professor (which some people think means you cannot appreciate beauty) - I do in fact sit in front of A1 printouts of my images and lose myself in them for over an hour at a time.

A well-known local lady artist came to visit my place to look at the images as she wanted to paint a deep-sky scene. She went away quite over-awed knowing she couldn't actually do anything that came close to the "real thing", and gave up the idea of the project there and then!!

Our imaginations can't even come close to creating what is already out there :shock:

Greg

Nexstar 11 GPS, 2 x Sky 90, M25C, MaximDL, Photshop CS3, Noel Carboni's Photoshop actions, 7 foot Pulsar fibreglass dome, Canon 40D, 100mm macro lens, 28-200mm zoom lens, 17-55mm f#2.8 zoom lens, 100-400mm zoom lens, 1.4x converter, 2x converter.
http://www.newforestobservatory.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12801949@N02/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:52 pm 

cybermystic wrote:
...even though I am a Physics Professor (which some people think means you cannot appreciate beauty) - I do in fact sit in front of A1 printouts of my images and lose myself in them for over an hour at a time...

And, as you well know, when you first understand the implications and power of some of the symmetry principles in physics the experience can be every bit as emotional as experiencing a great work of art for the first time. Actually, in my case, more emotional and almost as profound as my discovery of girls many moons ago. :roll: :lol: 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:01 pm 

It is indeed Bob. Feynman had something to say along very similar lines in one of his books (probably "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman").
Greg

Nexstar 11 GPS, 2 x Sky 90, M25C, MaximDL, Photshop CS3, Noel Carboni's Photoshop actions, 7 foot Pulsar fibreglass dome, Canon 40D, 100mm macro lens, 28-200mm zoom lens, 17-55mm f#2.8 zoom lens, 100-400mm zoom lens, 1.4x converter, 2x converter.
http://www.newforestobservatory.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12801949@N02/