Firstly, well done to Camut
for his great shot posted recently.
We had a clear sky & bright moon last night. I immediately realised that I hadn't tried to take a pic of the moon yet and quickly set up the tripod
After a couple attempts, I found that these settings seems to work:
- I set the camera to Manual
- selected RAW output (as I knew I would have to crop heavily with my max focal length of 200mm)
- enabled Mirror Lockup (to avoid any camera shake)
- set ISO to lowest value possible
- manually focused lens to infinity
- set the aperture to max
- adjusted shutter speed until I got the moon properly exposed to show some detail.
I managed to get this capture (which was obviously heavy cropped):
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 100
All I want to do now is borrow my friends 300mm f/4.0 L and try again