Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:51 am 
Hello all

Well, tonight was a good night. the moon was full and the sky was clear.
Tell me what you think.
The #1 and #2 are croped and sharpend, #3 and #4 are the originals
Spec are:
ISO 100, shutter 1/800 AP 5.8 lens was 70-300mm set at 300mm(= to 480mm)

All comments are welcome

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:20 am 
Hey Nick check this out....

PARIS (AFP) - The Moon will turn an eerie shade of red for people in the western hemisphere late Wednesday and early Thursday, recreating the eclipse that saved Christopher Columbus more than five centuries ago.

In a lunar eclipse, the Sun, Earth and Moon are directly aligned and the Moon swings into the cone of shadow cast by the Earth.

But the Moon does not become invisible, as there is still residual light that is deflected towards it by our atmosphere. Most of this refracted light is in the red part of the spectrum and as a result the Moon, seen from Earth, turns a coppery, orange or even brownish hue.

Lunar eclipses have long been associated with superstitions and signs of ill omen, especially in battle.

The defeat of the Persian king Darius III by Alexander the Great in the Battle of Gaugamela in 331 BC was foretold by soothsayers when the Moon turned blood-red a few days earlier.

And an eclipse is credited with saving the life of Christopher Columbus and his crew in 1504.

Stranded on the coast of Jamaica, the explorers were running out of food and faced with increasingly hostile local inhabitants who were refusing to provide them with any more supplies.

Columbus, looking at an astronomical almanac compiled by a German mathematician, realised that a total eclipse of the Moon would occur on February 29, 1504.

He called the native leaders and warned them if they did not cooperate, he would make the Moon disappear from the sky the following night.

The warning, of course, came true, prompting the terrified people to beg Columbus to restore the Moon -- which he did, in return for as much food as his men needed. He and the crew were rescued on June 29, 1504.

The Moon will be in total eclipse from 0301 GMT to 0351 GMT. This will be visible east of the Rocky Mountains in North America, as well as in all of Central and South America, West Africa and Western Europe. The zenith of totality is close to French Guiana.

It will be in partial eclipse from 0143 GMT to 0301 GMT, visible west of the Rockies and from the eastern Pacific, and from 0351 GMT to 0509 GMT, visible across the rest of Africa and Europe and much of South and West Asia.

Under a partial eclipse, Earth's shadow, or umbra, appears to take a "bite" out of the Moon.

The last total lunar eclipse took place on August 28 2007. The next will take place on December 21 2010.

A solar eclipse happens when the Moon swings between the Earth and the Sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 am 

Hi Nick,

Congratulations. It's quite surprising how small the Moon is on the sensor even with a 300mm focal length, isn't it. Aesthetically I'm somewhere between the first and second images but leaning towards the first. It's a very personal opinion but the highlights are just a little too bright in that first image for my taste. Keep posting. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:56 am 
Is'nt the moon really cool?
When you think about it. We really have that lump of dirt flying around above our heads, and it fascinate every one of us in one or another way.

It doesnt matter how many pictures i see of the moon, it still spellbind me.

And i'm happy to se another good picture of this celestial body.

no.1 is best in my opinion.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:41 am 

Khol wrote:
...We really have that lump of dirt flying around above our heads, and it fascinate every one of us in one or another way...

[off-topic]
Without the Moon the Earth's rotational axis would precess chaotically over geological time-scales to such an extent that land-based complex multi-cellular life may not have survived. The BBC has a web-site An Earth Made for Life which includes links which enables you to listen to three half-hour radio programs (requires RealPlayer), and other interviews, if you want some more background. Keep the volume down if you are at work, though. :lol:

Bob.
[/off-topic]

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:38 pm 
Hello all

Defiance: Thanks for the history lesson. I remember the Christopher Columbus story and liked how he was able to pull it off and get his men. very cool 8)
The other info I did not know. I hope to be able to get a glimps of the eclipses but the whether here is here and there. For ex: It was nice and clear last night and the news said "lots of rain or show, heavy cloud cover"

I like #1 best aswell

Nick