Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Iris astro sftware?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 am 

One basic question really, Iris; should I use it? I used it a while ago for some basic stacking and well...

10 print "this is a bit hard
20 goto 10

I understand it is a very powerful (and free) tool. I have downloaded DeepSkyStacker and the interface looks quite user friendly (but I don't have any new data to play with so....) There are many other packages out there too but does anyone think persevering with Iris could be the way to go? In general I have a systematic approach to most things and don't mind a bit of extra effort to get things "just so" or is there something out there I am missing?

As this is a photography forum I'll post a couple of "stacks" I did with Iris, the image processing was done with an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro (says it all really). I should point out I've been without a camera for some time but kept my astro kit (most importantly the EQ5 with dual axis drives). I'm hoping that with the D5100 and some work I can start to delve deeper into the night sky from this very challenging location.

Venus. Most of the shots (loads) were weird blobs (it was quite close to the horizon and still daylight), I think I got 8 to stack.
Sorry, no exact info. Nikon D40, 'scope working at f28 4000mm...ish.

The Double Cluster in Perseus.
D40, 400mm f6.3 Prinz Galaxy Lens (old with poor coatings but had a very flat field).

One for humour really, A crop of Comet Lulin from my Mothers (slightly darker) site.
Set up the same as above but with before and after. The sky glow was so bright the only way to centre the comet was to photograph the area it was til it appeared at the edge of the frame. Good fun though.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm 

Hi maksutov,

I used to use IRIS but I now use PixInsight. It does everything I want prior to using PhotoShop and the only downsides I have found are a steep initial learning curve and that it isn't free. But the trial version is free.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm 

Bob converted me to PixInsight also. While it has some learning curve, I found it a lot easier than Iris!

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm 

Thanks guys, haven't heard of PixInsight before, I'll have a look, I do find Iris a bit intimidating. More importantly I need to get some photons to play with, there's been lots of wind and rain here for a while. I'm hoping the tilting screen and live view on the D5100 along with a Bhatinov mask will make focusing a less frustrating affair. Since I took the above photo's the council have erected a new street light right at the back of our yard (due South), nice one.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm 

Just had a quick look at PixInsight, looks good but it's quite expensive and I've used up all my play money for now. I'm sure it's worth every penny, using a free trail for 30 days with my learning curve would be a waste of time (Aaaah! I've got it ... Oh! it's gone).

I've been struggling with all things astro for over 15 years, one thing with the learning curve is that if viewed as a wave, over time the amplitude increases (sadly in both directions). I've got over the initial fear, confusion and frustration caused by command lines and boxes with numbers in so I suppose I'm over the worst of Iris and I think I should stick with it.

While the weather is bad I'll start making some Bhatinovs for the 70-300mm and 'scope (batteries for the mount might help too, oh! and the polar 'scope has needed a tweak for ages...)

Alex