Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:37 pm 

I've been dabbling with my Nikon P100's 26x optical zoom. I think it has a 4x digital zoom as well so I can get a full screen image of the moon but the ISO pushes the grain up. I recently got a picture of Jupiter and it's moons show up but just barely. I want to get more into the astrophotography realm and thought about trying a digiscope setup. But most people use small P&S low zoom models for this. But my whole point was trying to reach out farther to see Jupiter and Saturn, but be able to photograph it. Or do HD video with the Nikon for that matter.

I tried a tiny 12x50 scope and all I saw was a black screen with a tiny peep hole sized image. Is this due to focal length, the scope eyeglass inlet size (~1cm wide)? I'm all for buying either a spotting scope or telescope but do I have to go up my dreams of using the P100 in conjunction with any scope? I'm a capable machinist so I can create just about anything, I just don't know if it's even possible. So I guess I'm looking for a Yay or Nay on even trying. I can't afford a SLR and the necessary lenses at this time so I'm trying to find a way around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:29 am 
I have a 10" dobsonian and use a Rebel T3 dslr camera with a 2" true adapter, I can get some detail in jupiter however it's VERY small. You can make it out and everything but it's not large and if you enlarge, it will have a bunch of noise.

I'm sure some of these other folks can tell you more but my dobsonian was 700$ and the adapter 60$ I also needed a 2x Barlow to even get focused which was 100$, DSLR was 650$ with 2 lenses. I can get amazing shots of the moon, but planets are a little bit harder. I'm sure if I had a 4x barlow it might be a little more interesting.

Don't know if that helps you understand how well your current camera will do. To give you an idea I had to take this shot at about 1/250th of a second. Otherwise Jupiter was just to bright to get a decent shot. I don't know if your P100 can do that, but I'm doubting it. My point and shoot L100 coolpix can get a white orb of jupiter and it's moons but nothing exciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:26 am 

The P100 will actually lets me set the shutter from 1/2000 up to 8 seconds so I have options, but the stock eye piece is not going to work. Even with my 8mp Canon A720 I can just barely zoom past the halo vignette effect. But it's a tiny little lens so it struggles with light.

When you say you bought a 2" true adapter, I assume this is a T-ring that screws onto your DSLR in order to give you a full frame shot? What I'm wondering is if I need a wider angle eye piece to make my P100 lens fill the shot better.