Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:34 pm 

Hi folks,

OK, I'm going to take my Moderator's hat off for this one as it pretty much breaks the section guidelines but as a lot of astrophotographers inhabit this section I'm hoping that the link I'm about to share will be welcome.

Since I was old enough to understand the question I've been fascinated about how our solar system formed and why it looks the way it does. Of course back in my childhood ephemera such as Bode's Law were almost state of the art (how embarrassing) but as the knowledgebase expanded so the theories got better and better but then (even more embarrassingly) they got to the point where they seemed to show that our solar system shouldn't exist in the form it does at all!

But finally, and only very recently, there's a narrative which naturally accounts for the four rocky inner planets, the asteroid belt and the four gas giants. Science is always a work in progress but this narrative is so beautiful I just had to share. It's an easy read but, for some, it may be helpful if I refresh the memory and explain that 1 astronomical unit (or "a.u.") is the distance of the Earth from the Sun. So here it is - if you weren't aware that planets can change their orbits significantly over time then prepare to be amazed. As the author says, "Fasten your seatbelts, folks — I'm about to take you on a wild ride!"; read, digest, enjoy and then wallow in just what a spectacular universe we live in:

Things might have been very different if Saturn had not been able to grow as massive as it did, but if it hadn't we wouldn't be here to talk about it or take photographs of it. There, I got a photography refererence in after all. :P

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm 

That's an area I never really thought about before, but then again I didn't have the in depth knowledge to know previous models were limited in the first place. Certainly interesting stuff.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 am 

When you start to think about every biological or geological choice that was taken to get us to where we are it really does make you consider if it there is a guiding force or does chaos theory reign supreme?

From the eons of development of the universe to the final few split second decisions you make when adjusting the settings on your camera before releasing the shutter. Just how many choices have been made to allow us to take a photograph?

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm 

An interesting read Bob. Amazing to think that we've learned so much just from the past few decades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Nice article Bob, thanks for linking...