Took your suggestion Fri. night...
Started the test at 14mm F/3.5 30sec. - not terrible
, but still had some trailing.
Bumped it down to 25sec. - still some minor trailing, but probably acceptable.
Then I tried 20sec. - if there was any trailing, I couldn't see it
. Looks like I found the "sweet spot" for this lens.
I did run into one problem, however... my lens has some obvious vignetting at the 14mm setting. Probably nothing I can do about it unless I replace it with a prime. Such is life.
Here's what I ended up with:
40 subs (32 used by DSS)@ 14mm, F/3.5, 20sec. ea.
Bright star near the center appears to be Altair, with Vega in the upper right corner (to give an idea of my target area)
The corners are a little "off" due to having to use Iris for gradient removal - had some trouble with the flats this time, for some reason, and the corners ended up nearly blown out on the DSS result.
Otherwise, a very
easy post-processing, since I figured out that some of my settings in DSS were causing me more work than what was needed
It had to do with my settings in the RAW section (Debayering setting was wrong and auto white-balance wasn't set, IIRC) so it was a case of "garbage in - garbage out".
Thanks for the link- looks like a good site for odds-n-ends
Unfortunately, I think that the motor listed there is a little much for my purposes.
Right now, I'm leaning towards using a clock motor, if the torque required to turn the bolt on the barndoor isn't too much.
I'll keep checking that site, though - looks like they get new stuff on a regular basis, so something usable may pop up.