Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 am 

Wow...

I didn't realize that the 20Da still costed over $1000. That's outrageous for a 5 year old camera. I see that you also recommended the 300D (Rebel) and 350D (Rebel XT). What makes these 2 cameras so good for AP? The 300D is quite old by now, wouldn't a newer camera produce better AP images?

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 am 

The 350D is of a similar age to the 20D. I guess the 20Da is expensive as it is a rather niche and rare product. You're right though that you can get effectively a 20Da in a modern camera by replacing the filter in it.

On older manual Nikon lenses, they can be used on Canon too! Adapters exist which allow them to fit without altering their performance. Of course if you also want to use AF or G type lenses then they're best on a Nikon body.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm 

Personally I plan to use my D200 for AP until I reach its limitations then I will be looking into getting a dedicated CCD. Prices start at around £300-400 and they are dedicated to the job, with some models being cooled for the purpose. For the price I would pay for a Canon and then to get it modded I would be better off going down the dedicated CCD route.

As for the recommended Canons you could add the 1000D to the list but pretty much any Canon (especially once modded) will do a good job at AP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 pm 

The 1000D (Rebel XS) does look appealing, maybe it would be a good purchase in the future.

Does anybody know if Nikon makes good cameras for astrophotography? I don't want to buy a whole wack of Canon lenses, I want to stick to my Nikons.

Going back to the 1000D, I could get it for around $300 second hand. In Canada, camera prices are much higher than other places in the world. For example, in the USA I could buy a D200, brand new, for around $650. In Canada I'm paying $700 at LEAST for a used one.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 am 

You can use an adapter to use your babies on your Canon;)
AP is, when you have some experience, mounting your dSLR on a telescope.
You dont need any lenses then.
Personally, I think the D200 is a bit heavy for using on a cheaper scope.
Youll need a 2'' crayford focusser, and a very steady mount at least.
The 350D/1000D is a lot less heavy, and if youre planning to remove the IR filter (which is quite simple, seach Google) you dont want to have spent a lot of money to your camera.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:00 am 

Evan, I think its widely recognised that if there is a choice between Nikon and Canon for AP then Canon will win. This is more apparent when you think that out of the two manufacturers its only Canon who have brought out a dedicated AP camera (20Da). Have a look at the link I posted a couple of post back and look at the images to the bottom. They show images from both modded and unmodded Nikon and Canon cameras. Which do you like the look of? At the end of the day its down to personal taste. Some people prefer the look of the Canon images as they are more sensitive to IR light, and therefore give a better true representation of what is actually up there, and when you think a lot of DSO's and emission nebulae (sp) emit IR this is a benefit. Some people aren't overly fussy on create an exact record copy and like a bit of artistic license therefore like the Nikon. Both cameras can be modded, which is fine if your only going to use it for AP and nothing else. As I said before, I would personally stick with the D200, see how you get on, if you decide AP isnt for you then you still have a great camera for everyday use with a set of great lenses.

Ruben, yes the D200 is a heavy camera but on certain set ups this isn't an issue. The OP has told us the scope but not the mount used, if he could let us know this it would be helpful :D

I think you will almost certainly want to be using a GEM mount for AP as these are the easiest to set up. They avoid the need for wedges etc that Alt-Az mounts need. On a GEM mount the weight of a camera, to a certain extent isn't an issue. It does become an issue when the weight of the complete set up i.e. scope, counterbalance weights and camera exceed the capacity of the mount. If you are within this capacity then the weight of the camera doesnt matter as you will balance everything to ensure a fluid motion and no strain on the motors.

With AP you definitely need the sturdiest mount you can afford. A 2" crayford focusser isnt absolutely necessary, but would be ideal.

As for removing the IR filter this can also be done on Nikons to, but you need to be certain you wont want to use the camera for anything other than AP (or maybe IR shots during the day?)

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:20 am 

I'm pretty sure that my mount is good, I don't know exactly what model it is though. It was supplied with my 8" Celestron years back. It was one of the better Celestron mounts, and supported my Nikon FE and Nikon F2.

I don't plan to remove the IR filter, it's just too much hassle.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm 

Can you post an image of the mount or a link to an image of it? It would be useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:18 pm 

And tell us what you like to photograph.
Deepsky is a world apart from Moon and planets.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:19 am 

Hi all

I brought my mount out, and found out that it was still the original mount that came with my Celestron C8. I can't remember things like this. Like the finder scope, I can never remember whether it's the one that came with the scope or one that I bought separate.

Anyways, I'd like to do mostly Moon and Sol System pics, and some deep sky as well. I like deep sky, but I don't always have the time to sit an hour in front of a lens. This is where LV would come in handy.

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:54 pm 

Ok so does the mount look like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=CG5gotot

If so its a GT5 Mount which should be suitable.

Just to throw another thing into the mix, a lot of people use web cams for planetary or lunar imaging and the best of the bunch is the legendary Philips TouCam Pro II which is now discontinued. But it is another avenue to explore for AP if your primarily interested in planetary or lunar work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:28 am 

Thanks!

So, I tried the D200 at the store today. It's a real nice camera! I've found out that ISO 3200 on that camera is about as good on my Powershot A460 at ISO 400. I think that that's the camera that I'll go for (When I can afford it! About $940 Canadian after taxes and extended warranty, about £570).

I couldn't get to the link that you put in your message. Is it only visible in Europe or the UK? I'm from Canada. Do you get this link?

http://www.universetoday.com/26428/celestron-c8/

Also, why would people use webcams for their astrophotos? My Microsoft VX-2000 Lifecam produces decent images, but I'd never use it for photographing the sky.

Also, could you post some DS photos that you took with your D200? Thanks!

- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am 

It is a nice camera, Ive had mine for about 4 or 5 years now and its still going strong.

That link should work, Im not sure why it wouldnt. I can see your link, I assume you have the setup in the first photo? If so it looks like you can set you latitude which is essential.

Webcams are very common for planetary work and a lot of people use them with great effect. Just google webcam astro imaging and youll see what can be done. The key, as mentioned before, is stacking frames or subs to improve the image quality.

Unfortunately at present I dont have any worthwhile DS photos as Ive only had my scope for a couple of months and in that time its been soooo cloudy I have only been able to use it twice!!! Still this weekend is looking promising and Ill be sure to get it out and try some DSO work, if I manage that Ill be sure to post some images for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 pm 

Webcams have, because their small chips, a very big crop factor.
Planets arent as big as you think they are, so you need to zoom in quite a lot.
The crop factor becomes very handy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:08 pm 

Hi

buy why would a Webcam be used, if a simple P&S camera could be used? I have a Canon Powershot A460, and the images are certainly better than those of a Webcam. How does the CCD size compare from the P&S camera and the Webcam?

- Ansel Adams