Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:36 pm 
I need a camera for my work and can not decide what would be best for me. My purpose is for taking clear long range photo's for determining a path for a narrow beam telecommunications transmission. Norrow beam means that the width of the beam at a kilometer can be from .3 to 6 meters at a distance of 1 kilometer. I take these pictures to identify if there are any obstructions such as leaves, tree branches of heat waves rising from an air conditioner in the path. My distances can be longer than one kilometer with 2.2 kilometers or one mile being an ideal distance for investigating a path for any obstructions. In the past I owned a Olympus SP570 that had 10 megapixel resolution and a 20 time multiplication or around 520 mm.

This camera was unfortunately stolen and it now needs to be replaced. The Olympus latest zoom camera offers a 30 times multiplication but does not have a view finder, only a 3" LCD which I find impossible to use. The maximum I would like to spend is around $1,000. I need a view finder because I have great difficulty in aiming a flat screen LCD image. The bottom line is that I need clarity at long distances.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS - GOING CRAZY TRYING TO SELECT THE BEST SOLUTION FOR ME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board Richard...

Can you describe the camera specifications which would be appropriate?

Resolution, zoom range and the type of viewfinder you need - electronic / optical...

The most obvious super-zoom choices today with electronic viewfinders are the Canon SX20 IS and Panasonic FZ35 / FZ38.

Most electronic viewfinders on super-zoom compacts are quite low resolution though. If you need a high resolution EVF, then the Micro Four Thirds bodies could be an option, like a Panasonic G1, although you'd need to find a suitably long lens to go with it. Luckily there's lots of adapters available to mount various DSLR lenses.

Alternatively, the live view feature on most DSLRs allows you to zoom-in on the image (albeit on the screen at the back) for a really magnified view, but again you'd still probably need a big lens to go with it.

Gordon

PS - when it's time to buy, don't forget you can support us by shopping through our partner stores page! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:45 am 
Hi dickusvi,

and welcome to the forum!

Based on what you intend to use it for, perhaps a camera with a powerful zoom lens isn't what you need. Rather, you may benefit from using binoculars with built-in camera.

This article may help:
http://www.astronomytelescope.net/engli ... camera.php

And some sample products:

http://www.the-binoculars-store.co.uk/w ... replay.htm

http://www.gizmo-central.com/camera-giz ... al-camera/

I'm suggesting this, assuming that you are not looking for high art, but "simply" a fairly clear representation of a sight-line that you can document.

Furthermore, since this is field-equipment, you might look for some that are both rugged and waterproof.

Generally these products are cheaper than cameras and have "only" 3 or 5 mega-pixels. However, when you think about it, a 24inch monitor max resolution is just around 2 mega-pixels.

Good luck with your search!

Cheers :-)