Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: best telescope to buy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:10 am 
As a begginer what would be the best telecope be to buy i intend to eventualy ad my 400d to it to take some good shots all help and coments appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 am 
Rexer1200 wrote:
As a begginer what would be the best telecope be to buy i intend to eventualy ad my 400d to it to take some good shots all help and coments appreciated

Telescopes are marketed with their power 150X or 250X etc., but I recommend every beginner not to go by that.. Cause, telescope are to be measured with resolving power. Since theory is diff from practicality..I suggest, since your aim is for photography go for a 5" or 6" reflector or a 3" refractor which has motorized mount.

You may not be able to use or understand about all the techie stuff or there will be slight confusion in using the RA and Dec on the mount, but eventually after 1 yr or so when you get to know everything in detail, will not regret it...

I have used this telescope (Celestron 21037 PowerSeeker 70EQ Telescope) (it does not have a motor though, check with manufacturer if you can add it later)
http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-21037-P ... 70&sr=1-26
and it gives wonderful sharp images of the Moon, Saturn rings (cassini division is seen), jupiter etc and the orion nebula was too good.
You can see images of Moon (taken with this canon 400D attached to this telescope) in my flickr page.
I could not get the Orion nebula image very well but with practice I should be able to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phani_astr ... 7/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phani_astr ... 0/sizes/l/

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 pm 
Thanks for the help, cant seem to find a celestron hear in the uk, but now i know what to look for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 pm 

What object do you want to capture ? Moon , Planet or Deep Space object ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 am 

Hi Rexer1200,

Sky & Telescope magazine have some helpful articles on choosing your equipment which you can read here.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm 
I bought a D=130MM F=900MM Reflector telescope with a motor drive the only thing is since i got it the sky has been full of clouds so cant use it at the moment.
But from what i did see through it i should get some good photo's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:19 am 
Rexer1200 wrote:
I bought a D=130MM F=900MM Reflector telescope with a motor drive the only thing is since i got it the sky has been full of clouds so cant use it at the moment.
But from what i did see through it i should get some good photo's

This scope should give you good results with bright objects; especially like the Sun, Moon, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn.

Since this has got a good focal length and with f/6.9. The best thing is that you have got a motor drive on it.

By the way can you specify the model..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:54 pm 
Yeah sorry it a skywatch actually got to use it tonight for the first time as the sky was clear and WOW great look at the moon cant wait to get the camera hooked up to it when i can afford the converter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 pm 
Your Scope:
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swti ... on=gallery

seems to be very nice....looking forward for some nice pics here... :)
congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 am 
Thanks phani yes that's the one so i did ok buying this scope then??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:42 pm 
Rexer1200 wrote:
Thanks phani yes that's the one so i did ok buying this scope then??

Yes. Although I have not used this scope, but as per the specs, it should give you some very nice views of the heavens.... And the scope itself seems very beautiful!

It would be great if you can provide a review here, for your scope once you have a look at the Moon, Saturn & Jupiter. That would help newbies who are planning to buy a telesocpe!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 pm 
Yes thats a good idea i will post a review as soon as i get the right adapters for the camera,and take some photo's, i have had the telescope for a couple of weeks now but due to heavy cloud i've not been able to use it the one time i did the view of the moon was fantastic, i think the best thing to do rather than just say how good it is would be to post a few shots and show the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:59 am 
Yes, posting some pics is a good idea....
Also, when watching the full moon (if), use a Moon filter to filterout the extra brightness.. even full moon can be blinding from such a scope...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:39 pm 
Yes i know what you mean Phani, as it's the first time i have ever used a telescope i was very surprised as it was very dark out side in my garden how bright the moon was when i had set the telescope up my first words where WOW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

I recommend seeing if there's a local astronomy society nearby - that way you'd have access to a potentially much bigger scope than you could afford, along with people who can show you how to use it. I learnt everything I know about scopes from my old society.