Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:49 am 
Hi guys I am trying to decide on which of the telescopes from bestbuy to purchase. I mention bestbuy as I work for the geeksquad and get a hundred or so off the better telescopes. Are any of those worth it for moon and possible planet pictures with my camera? Also do the motorized ones that track stars work with a DSLR for the purposes of astrophotography? Thanks for the help as always!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 am 

I've used and reviewed the Nexstar 4SE when used with the 50D, but I can't imagine the 7D being significantly different. With hindsight I wish I have something a bit more powerful for planetary work.

Example results with above scope and 50D. Note these are 100% crops of stacked output. In addition to the scope, you'll need a way to mount the camera to the scope. Typically you'll need a T-mount eyepiece adapter, and also a matching T-ring for the camera mount. Some scopes may have other dedicated mounting options. Webcams seem to be the preferred option for planet work.

Jupiter

Saturn

I think both were with the addition of a 2x barlow, giving a photographic equivalent spec of 2650mm f/26. That was needed to get any size at all, but you're working well into diffraction limiting. For a given focal length, the only way around that is a bigger diameter scope.

The moon is comparatively much easier. My best detail one is posted here. Somewhere just over 1000mm will fill the whole moon in one shot.

I also got the Astromaster 130EQ-MD. That I've not had as much fun with, as I can't get it to focus with a DSLR. Digiscopes ok with a compact. To me the EQ mount is a bit of a fiddle to set up, and it's generally big and bulky, feeling cheap made of plastic unlike the Nexstar's more metallic construction.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.