Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:26 am 
As part of my cell biology course, we learned the procedure of immuno-localization. Basically, that means we use fluorescent antibodies that attach to a particular protein or other feature inside a cell in order to figure out where it is inside the cell.

What you see in this image is 2 fibroblast cells stained with antibodies that bind to tubulin protein fibers. Tubulin is the main infastructure in your cells. It provides structural support and acts as a "highway" for tiny packages to move around inside your cells. The holes that are devoid of tubulin are most likely the nucleus of the cells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:29 am 
Hi ClayC,

that is one interesting image you have there. Don't tell me you took it with your Sony?

Fluorescent antibodies..that's pretty ingenious. Does that mean they provide the light for the image?

I'm not sure that's considered the current trend for cell-portraits. I could see Cybermystic having comments one this one..lol. But very fascinating...

You could have combed some of the tubulin to the side...lol..but bokeh looks good..heh.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:05 pm 
Not taken with my sony :D haha. This was taken with a built in camera on the microscope with 400x magnification.

As far as the lighting goes, we used green light to excite the fluorescent molecules and they give off red light which is collected by the camera.

This method is widely used by cell biologists worldwide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:47 am 
That's quite interesting!

Do you think it's possible to create multiple images as the antibodies spread and turn them into a small video or animated gif?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:19 am 
This is a very cool concept. I love that you know what your talking about too, and not just giving us a picture! =D
Thanks for the cool info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm 
Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, a video or animated clip would not be that exciting as the cells have been fixed in formaldehyde and are quite dead. There are ways of doing this method without killing the cells, but we chose to fix them so that we could keep coming back and looking at these slides over a long period of time.