Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Strange sunset
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:26 pm 
I live in Ireland and recently photographed a sunset with my new G1. Two days later I was in hospital so didn't look at the images properly for some three weeks. In the second of the three images there are what appears to be two suns and a planet. Now I know this sounds wierd but I am not a nut nor am I stupid, I think I know what sun dogs are and lens flare.

Can anyone help me out here??
I need an email address where I can send a 4000x3000 image and have a sensible appraisal as to whether or not any anomalous artifacts are lens flare. A totally unbiased opinion from one far more versed in photography than I, and an opinion that is purely based on the image and not the improbability of it.

Is anyone interested please?????
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:52 pm 

For starters you can upload the image to a free host like tinypic. That does downsize it but it'll be a start to share with others and see what's there.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject: sunset
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:05 pm 
Thanks, will do.

Post subject: Sunset
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 pm 

Hope I have done this right, thanks for your prompt help
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:30 pm 
http://i34.tinypic.com/iwlohw.jpg

This image was taken 21 seconds BEFORE the first image I posted and there is a third taken 1 min 2 sec after this one if it is of any help where once again there is no whatever it is to the right of the suns.

Many thanks for your time
David

EDIT: Sorry, David, but I've removed the [img]..[/img] tags as the image you linked to far exceeds our forum width limit of 1024 pixels and was destroying the forum framing. Bob Andersson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:36 pm 

Hi David,

Welcome to the CameraLabs forum. What a spectacular introduction to your photography. 8)

I note that this was taken with a DMC-G1. I agree that the ghost image isn't a "sun dog" or "false sun". It occurs to me that what we might be seeing is is reflection of the Sun's image from the sensor back to the lens and then back onto the sensor again. These reflections are a little more likely with digital sensors than with film as they are a bit more, er, reflective. That's why some lenses are sold as "digital" because the designers have taken greater care to reduce such reflections. Whether the closer distance of a native micro four-thirds lens to the sensor makes this issue worse I have no way of knowing. What lens did you use when you took the shot?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:12 pm 
Thanks for looking Bob and sorry about the image size problem. The lens I used was the 45 to 200 panasonic purchased with the camera. I hear what you say but would be really grateful if I could send a full size image to you so you can have a proper look in PS or whatever you use. When I load it into Gimp on the imac and bring it up full screen you can detect orange/ red wings around part of the perimeter of it and a sort of wake behind it. I do know how mad this sounds but will you please have a play with it and give me your opinion after close inspection.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:21 pm 

Hi David,

While I enjoy the privilege of helping, with others, to moderate the forum I'm no expert. Shooting into the Sun is a challenge for any camera/lens and it would be surprising if artefacts weren't visible. Admittedly having an additional in-focus image of the Sun, rather than the more usual star burst or lens flare, isn't ideal. All I can suggest is that you experiment when you are able with similar compositions but using different focal lengths and different positions of the Sun in the frame. My guess is still that you are seeing reflections back from the lens but maybe others can shed more light on this (sic).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Strange sunset
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 pm 
Thanks Bob, is there anyone you can point me to who might be able to help further. I know how incredible this can appear and I have done much soul searching before approaching anyone with these images, they may have ramifications for all of us (two suns alone). This is why I need someone who can suspend content appraisal and evaluate the image as an image. Is there any way of contacting Gordon Laing for this?
thank you so much for your time
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:16 am 
Site Admin

Yep, looks like some kind of internal reflection to me.