Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moon - Liveview
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:00 am 
Hello,
Tonight i FINALLY had both time and a clear sky to try out some moon-shots.

I bought a 5 meter USB-cable and a 5-meter USB-extender with some kind of amplifier to get a 10 meter USB-kable. That way i could place the camera on the balcony and sit comfortable inside pinpointing focus and settings. Felt a little bit like cheating, but i liked it.

Ony problem was that i had to run back and forth to change the tripod as the moon progressed over the sky.

I used my 40D with 70-400/4L and i did have a UV-filter on the front. Maybe that was unnecessary and im not sure if it degrades the image quality.

I did had a bit of a hard time getting the focus in the right place.

Also used Canon EOS utility with livemode and turned Depth of field preview on. It made it a LOT easier to focus. However, a little tip: When you have DOF preview on its hard to see small clouds between you and the moon, so use DOF-preview only when pinpointing the focus and setting the correct exposure, then turn it of and you'll clearly see all clouds so you can take the shot when the view is all clear.

The image i post in this post was actually behind a thin cloud.

I liked this and i think i'll do some more when i get the chanse. I'll most likelly will have to buy me a longer lens tho, this image is cropped quite a bit.

Hope you enjoy... i sure did !

1/90s - f/4.5 - ISO 200 - 200mm

/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:26 am 

wow, very nice picture I'm waiting for more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:29 am 
Very nice indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm 
Thanks guys.
I'll try to stay up long enough tonight for the moon to rise over my neighbours house. The sky is totally clear tonight and its -4 celsius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:07 pm 
That looks fantastic.
Try to shoot moon 3 days after full when the very prominent crater, copernicus is at its best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:27 pm 
excellent shot! :)