Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 pm 
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share my first attempt at night sky photography. I popped outside for a bit a few nights ago to try some shots with the 50mm 1.8.

After 30 minutes it got too cold so I headed back in. :lol: It was shot in Galway on the west coast of Ireland but there was still a lot of light pollution to deal with. :roll: The original was VERY orange. Well anyway, a little editing has revealed this:

Exposure: 15 sec
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome! :)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:31 pm 
why are they blue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:02 pm 
Yes, this is a problem. It's because the original had a lot of orange light pollution and they either came out blue or red when changing the white balance. I'm working on a black and white version at the moment, perhaps with a little colour. I'll post it up soon.

If anyone's got any tips for processing these kind of shots I'd be grateful as it's my first time!

Thanks,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:43 pm 
This shot reminds me of the good old star screensaver on all the old Windows computers... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:29 pm 

Not a bad attempt at all. I think the white balance just needs some fine tuning. Presumably the original colour cast was down to street lights? You should be able to tweak the white balance to look more natural - what software are you using to edit these shots?

As for editing Im not sure. I dont have the hang of editing myself. All I have done to date is take multiple short exposures and combine them in something like deep sky stacker. This allows me to reveal far more detail than in a single shot without the need to push the exposure post processing.

What this will allow you to do is (if you dont have a tracking mount) shorten your exposure time (the stars are showing some movement) and take and layer multiple shots to get the same effect as a single shot done with a tracking mount.

I hope this helps a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:55 pm 
Thanks for the tips Digz. I do want to try some multiple exposures at some point.

I was using photoshop for the editing.

Mark