Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My First Pics!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:33 pm 
a clear night up here so i figured i might as well have a try heres the only two that came out decent :lol: May be too dark but they look ok on my display so far, tried some slight pp in lightroom 2 but not too much as it made the photo very grainy, will keep trying though!

Any CC is welcome!

Sony A200
Fl = 18mm
f 3.5
ISO 400
Shutter: 15 seconds

Sony A200
Fl = 18mm
f 3.5
ISO 400
Shutter: 15 seconds

Will

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:56 pm 
can somebody give me some tips on how to brighten the image slightly and make the stars more prominent?

Thanks very much

Will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 pm 
how does this look??

tried to increase the stars prominence without too much grain and destroying the black :D

Will (again :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:00 pm 
nobody got any cc or comments? :?: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:44 pm 

Hi Will,

Sorry I missed your original post and welcome to the select band of astrophotographers on the forum. As you've found out, post-processing isn't optional for this sort of work.

There are a number of commercial programs out there tuned for astronomical images but, if you are happy with a steepish learning curve, there's also the excellent, powerful and free IRIS software which you can download from here. A handy primer can be read here.

15 second exposure times are always going to be a bit limiting. If you can run to a tracking mount then all of a sudden your challenge will not be how to capture enough stars but how to keep those pesky street lights from ruining the image! :)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:08 pm 
hi Bob,

Thanks for the tips and links, I'm always up for a challenge :lol: so i'll have a look at the IRIS.

Thanks again,

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm 
I love stars, they are amazing, i find myself often laying down on my back on the beach or on some field some where laying there staring into the endless darkness filled with those light, just wondering!

Thanks for reminding me of those good times :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am 
The processed version with the trees is very nice. I see that it says you used iso 400, try playing around with higher numbers. While there may be some noise at 1600 and 3200 (not sure what your camera goes to) it can help bring out many details without having streaking stars across the frame that you would get with a longer exposure. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:00 pm 
thanks for all the cc,

I tried using higher iso's but to be honest there can be nothing positive said about the higher iso long exposure speed shots :oops:.
I will keep experimenting though :D

Thanks again,

Wiill :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 pm 

Will-McK wrote:
...I tried using higher iso's but to be honest there can be nothing positive said about the higher iso long exposure speed shots...

It's no accident that Christian Buil (author of IRIS) used the 40D at ISO 400 rather than a higher figure (40D test).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.