Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:35 pm 
cybermystic wrote:
It's all relative I guess. For the work I'm doing it's about the cheapest way possible. The Sky 90 is about (?) 1200 dollars, the CCD about 2000 dollars is the most expensive component, a suitable mount is about 1000 dollars. So you could be doing this for around 5000 dollars.

Well when I count (new … not used) then I get something in the range of 5000 pounds giving a price of some 7500 US dollars … okay it is not “the end of the world” prices but it IS expensive!

cybermystic wrote:
When you think the Ritchey-Chretien boys have telescopes starting at 30,000 dollars - my work really is cheap entry-level stuff :D
Greg

Yeah I agree it is entry level equipment … BUT it is the entry level of astronomy equipment. I once looked at catalogue on Meade reflecting telescopes, the smallest one had a price tag on some 10000 US dollars and all the rest had a price tag saying: call us to learn the price :shock: :roll: So astronomy equipment truly has got astronomical prices :? Still I can’t say that I’m not considering one day getting something ... reasonably priced equipment. Yet at this time I am only considering buying a flash or/and WA lens ... should cost around 1000$ ... to me it feels like a lot because its my money ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:12 am 

I gave the prices in dollars as you cannot treat rip-off Britain prices like U.S.A. prices. Most folk know that the English pound prices are reflected in U.S.A. dollar prices pound for dollar, so I stand with (a maximum of) around 5000 dollars U.S. for my kit. When it was 2 dollars to the pound it was even more aggravating to us Brits.
Greg

Nexstar 11 GPS, 2 x Sky 90, M25C, MaximDL, Photshop CS3, Noel Carboni's Photoshop actions, 7 foot Pulsar fibreglass dome, Canon 40D, 100mm macro lens, 28-200mm zoom lens, 17-55mm f#2.8 zoom lens, 100-400mm zoom lens, 1.4x converter, 2x converter.
http://www.newforestobservatory.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12801949@N02/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:28 pm 

Well it's only going to get cheaper I think (or hope). But it's nothing too insane if you're really into getting photos like these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 pm 
cybermystic wrote:
I gave the prices in dollars as you cannot treat rip-off Britain prices like U.S.A. prices. Most folk know that the English pound prices are reflected in U.S.A. dollar prices pound for dollar, so I stand with (a maximum of) around 5000 dollars U.S. for my kit. When it was 2 dollars to the pound it was even more aggravating to us Brits.
Greg

Okay it IS hard to say what the prices are since we also have to take in vat and tax e.g. Still I can say that I need some time before I start to buy astronomic equipment.
Shagrath wrote:
Well it's only going to get cheaper I think (or hope).

Yeah we can only hope that the price change … for the better ;)
Shagrath wrote:
But it's nothing too insane if you're really into getting photos like these.

True … but to being so much into it could mean that “you” are the insane ;) Just to give an idea: I have seen some nuts guy that lived in a light polluted city that had a 14” Meade reflector that he used on he’s tiny balcony … not the best way to get a good view I think :roll: