Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm
Posts: 87
I am going to the Ray's and Phillies World Series Game tonight! I am taking my Nikon D80 aqnd 55-200mm Lens.

1. Should I use my Lens Hood?

2. I put it in sport mode what else should I set to get the best quality?

Any other tips to get good shots or any tips?

GO PHILLIES!

_________________
http://www.atoncer.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... largeimage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 am
Posts: 634
Location: US
Yes use your lens hood. Whenever you are outside, use your lens hood.

If you don't want to use any of the semi-auto modes (i.e. A, S)

Then sport mode will basically configure the camera settings to give you the fastest possible aperture available, and will most likely set the camera to continuous shooting, so you can hold the shutter down and the camera will take as many shots as it can.

If you aren't comfortable with the A and S modes, then leave the camera is sport mode and you should be fine.

_________________
-Blog- || -My Flickr-


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm
Posts: 87
Sdrummer wrote:
Yes use your lens hood. Whenever you are outside, use your lens hood.

If you don't want to use any of the semi-auto modes (i.e. A, S)

Then sport mode will basically configure the camera settings to give you the fastest possible aperture available, and will most likely set the camera to continuous shooting, so you can hold the shutter down and the camera will take as many shots as it can.

If you aren't comfortable with the A and S modes, then leave the camera is sport mode and you should be fine.


Thanks! How about ISO, Area-Mode, ect? ISO Auto and Area Mode Single Area?

_________________
http://www.atoncer.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... largeimage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 am
Posts: 634
Location: US
difabio42 wrote:
Sdrummer wrote:
Yes use your lens hood. Whenever you are outside, use your lens hood.

If you don't want to use any of the semi-auto modes (i.e. A, S)

Then sport mode will basically configure the camera settings to give you the fastest possible aperture available, and will most likely set the camera to continuous shooting, so you can hold the shutter down and the camera will take as many shots as it can.

If you aren't comfortable with the A and S modes, then leave the camera is sport mode and you should be fine.


Thanks! How about ISO, Area-Mode, ect? ISO Auto and Area Mode Single Area?


That's all usually set in sport mode, but if you find yourself needing/wanting to change:

ISO = I think with the D80, you can shoot worry-free at 400-800 ISO. But start with 100, and see if you need the extra speed.

Metering Mode: Center-weighted should do fine for you, or evaluative.

_________________
-Blog- || -My Flickr-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:48 am
Posts: 2879
Location: Nikonia California
i wouldn't suggest going past 800 ISO.

if possible try renting an 80-200 lens or a 70-210. something with atleast a 2.8f lens.

i've tried shooting night time sports with the 55-200 VR and if things don't go your way with the lighting, you won't be too happy with the shots.

_________________
WHO I AM BLOG, WHAT I DO BLOG
Facebook
*most of my photos nowadays come with a blog post. Please take some time and stop by :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm
Posts: 87
Here are some pics: What do you think I can do to make them better?

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
http://www.atoncer.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... largeimage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:48 am
Posts: 2879
Location: Nikonia California
i think you just need something with a lil bit more reach to isolate the players.

_________________
WHO I AM BLOG, WHAT I DO BLOG
Facebook
*most of my photos nowadays come with a blog post. Please take some time and stop by :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm
Posts: 87
palakaboy wrote:
i think you just need something with a lil bit more reach to isolate the players.


Nikkor 70-300mm VR?

Sigma 120-400mm OS?

_________________
http://www.atoncer.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... largeimage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:53 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
get the sigma :D

_________________
Samsung GX-10, , SA 18-55mm
Canon 5D Mark II, 40D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, EF 24-105mm L IS, EF 50mm f/1.4

www.flickr.com/glxlr


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group