Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:07 am 
This is my first attempt at photographing an air show. All pictures were taken from the Oak Street beach in Chicago, IL while observing the air show with about 2 million other people! Any CC or feedback would be appreciated :oops: I'm not sure about the cropping of the photos or exposures? I have many more but these are a few of the images that I liked. I took over 700 pictures and a little more than 50 came out as keepers. I was struggling with the settings and the planes were not easy to frame when flying at more than 400mph so close by?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 am 
hmm from what i can tell the white balance needed to be set...

i would put the lot of them through photoshop's auto levels...

you should be good after that, unless it disfigures your shots in some sort of way.

resizing them would also help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:22 pm 
2nd to last on eis my fav.

:D

nice shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:47 pm 
Think they are very good for your first attempt, I like No's 1, 4 and 9 best.
If you are interested in "Fast Jets" have a look at these websites
http://fastjets.co.uk/
http://www.lowfly.net/index.html
http://www.warplane.co.uk/index.htm
Some good tips on what you need Camera, Lenses and Clothes on Lowfly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:34 pm 
I just got to thinking - they look very much bigger than usual. Look at the pilots, they're tiny! Really. The planes look a lot bigger tahn those you see on tv where they interview a pilot next to them.

And i was wondering about how you got pictures of them really? Because i tried when some flew over my city a few days ago - not easy :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:57 pm 
OMG :shock:
They fly really close to one another... dont they?

nice pix there. I specially like the blue/yellow ones. Seems like your camera manage to focus best on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:27 am 
I took these from the Oak Street beach in downtown chicago. The Air show is one of my favorite events and this time I had a pretty good zoom lens to capture some images I've always wanted. The Blue Angels are regarded as the best aerial flight team. They put on an amazing show in the city. With the tall buildings, a wide open beach, and a huge lake the jets can be overwhelming. They are extremely loud as they put on the afterburners and head out away from the city but yet when they move inland they are almost impossible to spot until they fly right over your head like in many of my pictures. I hope to get better pictures as the years go on but one of my favorites is the F-22 Raptor. That plane is unbelieveable! Captured all the pictures with my 40D and a 70-200 f/4 and a 1.4 tele. I hope to improve over time and capture some more good pictures for keeps sake. Best of all the air show is completely free!

Thanks for all your feedback I appreciate it!