Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Aviation Photography
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:44 pm 
Hi,

i am really struggling here about which modes and settings i should use for shooting planes etc.. (on a sunny/partly cloudy day from like noon to sunset) right now i use ISO100 A Mode F/8 but some of the pics just doesn't look right.. i also use the optimize image function but i don't know if its a good idea or not, with the optimize image i noticed an improvement with color and sat.. but the IQ of some of the pictures decreased.. any ideas :?: :?:

Thanks in Advance :D

Last edited by CaptainG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:15 pm 
Well sounds about right to me.
Maybe the problem is some settings in the camera? And some of the problem could probably be solved with almost any photo editing program.
I mean like not having the optimize thing on the camera, and do it manually on your comuter afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:07 pm 

Do you have some examples? Cause i can't really figure out what you mean by "doesnt look right"

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:27 am 
Noceo wrote:
Do you have some examples? Cause i can't really figure out what you mean by "doesnt look right"

Ummm like

Color: http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... d=01437463

Too Dark: http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... d=01432961

Here like only the NOSE of the plane is blurry: http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... d=01432544

their just a bit strange to me.. most of the time i set my cam to what i think is the best settings for the lighting,but some things in the picture just dont seem right with those settings :?

>> check out the differences here
1. http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... d=01417937
2. http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... d=01417934

btw, what modes you think is best?? S or A, i think these pictures here were taken with M mode @ 400-640 shutter speed and F/ between 5 and 6.3, ISO 100. No Optimize image settings were used in these links i posted, just me trying my best to edit them..or maybe its my editing???
:? :? :shock: :?: :? :shock:

Thanks in advance for the help, :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 am 

First of all i would pick A (Av) or S (Tv) depending on the ammount of light available. If there's lots of light go for S (Tv) and a shutterspeed of 1/1000 or faster. If the light is a little low, go for A (Av) and a low aperture to asuere a fast shutterspeed.

Also sometimes you might need to overexpose a bit, or use a different type of metering. I think the reason some of your pictures are too dark, is that the metering also calculates from the very bright background. That result in the dark part of the picture (the plane) will become too dark. So either some partial metering (or whatever it's called on nikon) or just overexpose by +1/3 - +1/1 EV.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:15 pm 
Noceo wrote:
First of all i would pick A (Av) or S (Tv) depending on the ammount of light available. If there's lots of light go for S (Tv) and a shutterspeed of 1/1000 or faster. If the light is a little low, go for A (Av) and a low aperture to asuere a fast shutterspeed.

Also sometimes you might need to overexpose a bit, or use a different type of metering. I think the reason some of your pictures are too dark, is that the metering also calculates from the very bright background. That result in the dark part of the picture (the plane) will become too dark. So either some partial metering (or whatever it's called on nikon) or just overexpose by +1/3 - +1/1 EV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 pm 
What about Optimizing Settings in your camera for like +2 Sharpening etc. is that necessary for taking airplane shots or will it mess up the picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:54 pm 
CaptainG wrote:
What about Optimizing Settings in your camera for like +2 Sharpening etc. is that necessary for taking airplane shots or will it mess up the picture?

Dude! Haha, 0eyvind already answered your question. So what we should do now is just leave the optimize thing on normal and edit the pictures manually with adobe photoshop :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:21 am 
Media Masters Aruba wrote:
CaptainG wrote:

Dude! Haha, 0eyvind already answered your question. So what we should do now is just leave the optimize thing on normal and edit the pictures manually with adobe photoshop :lol: .

:twisted: i know editing in PS is the best way.. but Will the Optimize Image feature help by improving the picture then editing or not :?: