Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Polo Match
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:06 am 
Hey guys this is my first try at picture posting. Also my first real outing with my camera. Tell me what you think and also any advice. Thanks.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:35 am 
no offense but i'm not at all impressed at the first shot.

while it is a great capture, the lens sorta ruined it with the aberration.

HOWEVER

#4 and #7 are winners and i love them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:58 am 
#7 is definatly amazing. i like the 2nd polo player in # 3 a lot too. thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 am 
Most of them are good, but the first is not. :( It's out of focus and there is a large amount of visible chromatic aberration. #6 is also out of focus.

Shots #3, #4 and #7 are the best, good job on those.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:00 pm 
Hey thanks for the replys. Yes I agree number 1 isnt the best. But i think that is due to heavy cropping. I appreciate you being honest thats what I wanted so I know what to improve on. Thanks again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:49 pm 
Twcman306 wrote:
Hey thanks for the replys. Yes I agree number 1 isnt the best. But i think that is due to heavy cropping. I appreciate you being honest thats what I wanted so I know what to improve on. Thanks again. :D

well pretty much thats the only time you can see the aberration. i'd suggest saving up for a new lens if it bugs you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:55 pm 
I had another look at your photos and only just realised that you have a lot of blown highlights - pretty much in every photo. That's something to watch out for when you're shooting because although it can be fixed in post-processing to some extent it's usually harder to correct over-exposure than under-exposure.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 pm 
Markh wrote:
I had another look at your photos and only just realised that you have a lot of blown highlights - pretty much in every photo. That's something to watch out for when you're shooting because although it can be fixed in post-processing to some extent it's usually harder to correct over-exposure than under-exposure.

Mark

What exactly are blown highlights? And also how would I fix that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:41 am 

I think you really did a good job with 7.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:24 am 
Twcman306 wrote:
Markh wrote:

Mark

What exactly are blown highlights? And also how would I fix that?

Blown highlights are areas of extreme brightness which have gone 'off the scale' of whiteness which results in loss of detail in the areas which are too white. In this case most of the clothes the riders are wearing are blown out.

If you look at the histograms of the above images you will see a spike at the far right of the graph.

You can either prepare for them at the time of shooting by slightly underexposing the scene and then boosting the dark areas in post-processing or fix them afterward. In photoshop, for example, an easy way to recover the blown highlights is to go to image > adjustments > shadow/highlight. Bring down the shadows slider to return the dark areas to normal and then bring up the highlights slider to rescue the detail. Play with the tonal width and radius to get different results.

Mark