Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: night football help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am 
Im taking on a sports photography internship that requires me to take night pictures of the football games (not soccer football but the pigskin kind)

I was wondering if there was any tips you guys could offer for a newb like me that's never shot any night sports.

as far as my gear goes- i'm maxed out for a little while and i'd like to push them as far as they go.

i'll be using my 55-200 with my SB-600....

would you guys recommend a flash extender for sports shots like these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 am 
Ditch the flash because even with a snoot or grid, it won't reach far enough. Use high ISOs if the light isn't good enough on your tele, but more often than not the floodlights usually provide ample light.

Only use the flash when necessary - perhaps with a normal or wide lens at the end of the match to capture players'/coaches' responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:26 am 
Photoj wrote:
Ditch the flash because even with a snoot or grid, it won't reach far enough. Use high ISOs if the light isn't good enough on your tele, but more often than not the floodlights usually provide ample light.

Only use the flash when necessary - perhaps with a normal or wide lens at the end of the match to capture players'/coaches' responses.

Perfect advice photoj!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:13 pm 
would you guys recommend a monopod?

i fear that the monopod can only restrict me...but if you guys recommend i'll go pick one up before my first game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:16 pm 
Thanks emp93. I've been doing this photography lark for too long :\

I would be using a monopod with the lenses I use but the 55-200 is a light lens and does have the VR. I see very little benefit of a monopod with your set up. It may be more easy for you to move around without the need of support.