Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rugby League
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:33 pm 

Hi All,

Decided to try out my sports action photography skills at my brothers Local Rugby League match (first time!!). For those who don't know Rugby League is like Rugby Union but MUCH better ( :lol: )

All shots are taken with my Canon 55-250mm f 4-5.6 IS at various ISO's and shutter speeds on a EOS 400D body

The day was pretty ordinary with overcast conditions, light precipitation and late afternoon. Needless to say as the game went on my pictures got decidedly worse (darker and grainier). I actually stopped at around 15mins to go after reviewing photos and seeing how dark they were.

A question for other sports photgraphy enthusiasts out there: Whats your feeling on noise in images? Is it ok in some instances or to be avoided like the plaugue??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmdott/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 pm 

Hi Daniel,,I think for your first time out shooting sports action you have done well.I used to shoot my nephew when he was playing club footy a few years ago. basically if you can avoid the grain it makes for a nicer image. now that you are a sports photographer you will learn that mother nature is always right and you have to adapt to the environment , I have found the same problem as you did with low light situations and probably the only thing you can do is open the aperture and raise the iso..I didnt shoot past 800 iso as I found it to still give good results with little to no grain and keep on the move up and down the sideline or behind the try line if the game is being dominated by one team. You might also try knealing down to get your shots rather than just standing up all the time.it just makes for a different perspective when looking at the end results..the 24-70 f2.8 lens you have is a good choice and should be used if you can get some close sideline shots..you might want to invest ina 70-200 f2.8 as it is a very versatile lens for shooting footy,, I have posted some of the shots I did from a few years ago...These are scanned from prints off films so they probably dont look as good and digital but you get the idea..good luck,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 am 

Hi Nitro!

Thanks for the feedback and advice! I know what you mean about mother nature she's pretty domineering. I managed to get a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS but have yet to put it through it's paces!!!

Hopefully I'll be able to get around to going to a NRL match and giving it a go!!

I love your shots though, epecially the spear tackle...ouch..!

I also liked the dummy half play, great composition and perspective, I can see what you mean about changing it up a little bit and getting that different persepctive.

Thanks again!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmdott/