Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:20 pm 

Hi everyone, firstly thanks for all the advice that you have unknowingly been giving me, which I used to buy my very first 'serious' camera (an Olympus e510). I've never been into photography other than point and clickers and often ended up frustrated at the limited range they could pick up, so last week I bit the bullet and splashed the cash!

So, my first chance to use the new gear was at a cricket match last night and I've put some shots on here, so that you can hopefully help me out in pointing out what i've done wrong and where I can improve on both the original shot and how best to tidy them up in Photoshop (if you would be so kind :P ).

1)
I was pleased with the path of action on this set (I just cropped and stuck together in photoshop very quickly), should I have a quicker shutter speed to reduce the blur on the last one, or does that give a good impression of speed and the missing of the ball?
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

2)
I liked the unusual sky colours which I felt complemented the colours in the MCC spire top.
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
ISO Speed: 200

3)
Again I was pleased to get the action shot with the bail coming off the stumps.
ISO Speed: 800

4)
Couldn't resist this snap of an unpaying spectator.
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/180)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 190 mm

5)
Again I was pleased with the capture of action, I think I would crop this one so the hat in the bottom is removed as well as some of the green space to the left.
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)

6)
I liked the idea of the ball being far in the distance here, but not 100% sure it works as a shot.

7)
I like the compostion of this one, as in its what i was seeing from my seat, but somewhere along the way i got the settings all mucked up i think!
Exposure: 0.0015 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 70 mm

Thanks in advance for all your comments, Any information on improving my camera settings etc or how to get the best in post production gladly received.

By the way I didn't realise that I could choose image size in flikr so I have presized them all to fit forum rules and now I am at work and don;t have the originals, sorry in advance