Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:26 pm 
There is this really good skate park in Malmö, and i used to skate a few years back till i busted my back surfing quite ironic!

But there is this kid called Oscar, he is is from Malmö and he is already a Pro, i have hung out with him a couple of times at the skate park, i just go there and sit back and relax the show they put on, i got a few pictures of him in the past. But i didn't have my D40x.

This time when i went he was around and when he saw my gear he was like "Hey Alex, cant you take some sweet shots with that camera?" I told "Ehhhm i haven't done a lot of sports photography but i will give it a try" So i mounted the SB 600 and he started to skate about till i saw him coming over to the same spot where he was pulling of some pretty sick tricks, so i decided to place myself there and told him to give his best shot and my god! he is really good at what he does

Shame i didn't have a faster camera, i would have create those "in motion" pictures

here is what i got

What do you think?

Last edited by alex168 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:29 pm 
number two is excellent!

how is the SB600 useful in this case? not enough light? and what was your shutter speed?

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:42 pm 
Number two is the best because it shows of a lot of altitude!

I placed myself a bit under the ramp (whole skate park) and shot up.

Yes the Sb 600 works great, but as i was shooting in continues mode and it takes the flash about 3sec to recuperate, which was something i didnt think. So at first i didnt get any good pictures at all until i understood that? Was getting really dark images.

Sb 600 gives more then enought light but i had forgotten the little inbuilt defuse on, but i think i could have used it at a higher power. I really need to get to knw the Sb 600 alot better, it has so much more to offer then i understand right now!

I used 1/125 to 1/160 shutter speeds, and i shot on A mode at the lowest possible f-number! seems as if the lens isn't fast enough tho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:55 am 
The fill light isn't quite powerful enough in several of these, but the timing of the shots are impeccable. You're right in that you needed to set it to a higher power.

The in-built diffuser (a mis-nomer) is almost useless to reduce forwards light, and it acts more to disperse light to a wider angle. You may need to invest in a proper diffuser, such as the stofen omnibounce or a lumiquest softbox.

The ISO was only at 160 and if you found "the lens isn't fast enough" then you could have bumped the ISO to 320-400.

Finally my eyes tell me you've added some irrelevant tags to some of your photos on Flickr - none of these were taken by a fisheye...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:44 am 
I think i m going to pick up one of those defuser the come pretty cheap about 15 US dollars, so in a couple of weeks i will have that and the prime lens, its going to be interesting to play around with both.

I think my ISO was at 100 because that is what i set it to. I think what i meant by my lens wasn't fast enough i was referring to the camera, it could only get 3 pictures when i started shooting RAW (mistake) then i moved over to JPEG, and i started to get some better shots.

What i didnt take into account was that the flash needs a "recharge" time so it would only fire on the 1st and lost shot out of those 3 and the best shot was often the second one when i grabbed him doing the trick!

Ahh those tags, everytime i create i set i just write all the tags in the main "tag" listing area and then just add that, i was playing around with a fisheye lens at the photo store and i have some fisheye shots on my flickr, so that the reason for it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:23 pm 
Yes, for action do restrict yourself to JPEG to allow a larger buffer for continuous shooting.

I know you don't like noise in your images, but do try and bump your ISO to at least 320-400 for action with a slow lens. You will find that it will help immensely with shorter shutter speeds, and the noise level at that ISO range is minimal.

The Sb-600 does need time for recycling - I used rechargable Ni-MH batteries as this reduces the refresh time over alkaline batteries. The manual should cover this point in better detail than I can.

Remember that having a diffuser will reduce the light from the flashgun by around 2 stops, so you'll end up having less power.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by Photoj on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm 
Photoj wrote:
Remember than having a diffuser will reduce the light from the flashgun by around 2 stops, so you'll end up having less power.

Thats quite good to know, but that can be compensated for, if i want to increase the power a bit more. Thanks for then tips Ed, i will keep that in mind and write it down in my notebook :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
It can be compensated for until you reach maximum power with the diffuser, and then find that that's not enough.