Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: my first time :)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:27 pm 
this is my first time doin' something like this :) it's a 4 pictures collage.. a burst with a Canon EOS 400d of a friend of mine...

post-processing:

duplicate layer, desaturate (channel mixer) -> multiply
image adjustments -> shadow/highlights
merge down
duplicate layer, high pass filter -> soft light
flatten image..

so, whitout further ado, the shot.. the shots:

as usual, any kind of critique is highly recommended and welcome!

Thanks, HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:24 am 
Hmm it seems like you need a faster FPS because you cant really tell which direction and like what exactly is going on because the frames are so far apart.. what camera do you have??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:35 am 
forgot to mention :)) the order is from right to left :)) it's a Canon EOS 400D => 3fps burst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:00 am 
Clearly emp93 never did watch his Bruce Lee...hrmpfff!!

...just kidding emp :-)

HNV, those are some good shots and a very agile friend you have there. I'd have to agree that it took even a martial arts afficionado like myself a few moments to catch on to the order. If going from left-to-right, the third one would be defying the bio-mechanics going into the kick..lol.

Not your fault that everyone automatically looks at things left-to-right. But with more frames, it would more obvious.

Regardless, the collage is a good idea. With strong side-light and that spectator in the background gone - perhaps grunged up and in B&W with some film-grain, and you could have a very strong collage!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:39 am 
I like it.

Esp the background with the graffiti and the guy in the pink :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 am 
Its obvious that its from right to left, on the other hand that is quite the unsualy way for our eyes to interpreate things, i would suggest taking all the images inverting them and start from left to right that just the way our eyes read things!

funny stuff, you got urself some crisp shots right there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Admin

I like it - it's a nice sequence and I'm not sure having more frames per second would have helped as the gap between each pic is good in my view.

BUT for those with higher fps (all you 40D owners!) you'd effectively get a spare shot inbetween each of those above, allowing you to choose the best ones if you still only wanted , say, three or four in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:25 am 
I like it although I think it could be improved if the subject's entire body was visible in #3. The order seems a bit odd but it's still pretty impressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:33 am 
i did the cropping by the background :) to the exactly the same frame :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:33 am 

I like it. You can see how fast it's going by comparing the movement to "background guy" :) Maybe I would have done a little longer shutter time to accentuate the movement, but that's an artistic choice I guess...
Nice work!