Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Aircraft propellers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 am 
OK, new here. Been lurking for some time and learning, and hope to post some materials soon. Using a kodk z7630 in manual settings. I have a dilemma. I do not know if it's just that y camera is not capable, or if I do not know how to set it. But I would love to get a photo of an airplane, with engines running. 6 blade propellers, but I want the propellers to be a blurr, so yo can get the effect that the engines are actually turning. All the pictures I have taken lately, there is no way to tell that the aircraft is actually running. Anyone have any input on this? I would appreciate it and I will post some materials soon for some critique. Learning with the camera I have so I may be ready once I jump into the DSLR arena. Thanks

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:41 am 
Now this might be a very long long shot... I presume that you are posted in Iraq, if you are do you have easy access to any of the "Hercules" aircraft from RAF Lyneham... if you see if you can talk to the any member of the crew not the pilot, I say not the pilot because again it's a long shot but someone that goes by the name of "Canonprouser" on the EOS forum is a crew member on a "Hercules" and is posted in Iraq.
So if by some miracle you do happen to find him he will tell you exactly how to get the effect you are after.

Also you could have a look at this forum http://www.eos-forums.com and then find the Transport Thread there are loads of pictures of planes both Jet and Prop and most leave exif data with picture, hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:46 am 
well didnt think the military pioint was that obvious, but yes. I am a US Marine in Iraq and am actually maintenance on Hercs. I will check out that website and I would have no way to contact the person you mentioned, but I will look for some photo setting ad see where I can go from there. Getting an aircraft where I want it and taking long shot is no problem. thanks a lot for the advice, im off and runnign with it!

***nevermind the opening, I just read my handle. inda obvious I am in Iraq.

Last edited by jddwls on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:52 am 
jddwls wrote:
well didnt think the military pioint was that obvious

Easy really it is in your bit "Location" and if you were not Military then you would have to be in the Media of some kind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:56 am 
thank you for your service jddwls!
to blur the propellers what you need is a longer shutter speed see if your cam has a mode that allows you to manualy control your shutter speed and try a slower one and keep getting slower till you find the effect you like. your cam might be shooting at like 1/1000 (which is way fast) so try more like 1/125 or even slower and be sure to post some pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 am 
I will be playing with this here in the next 12 hours. So we will see what happens. I found a lot on the EOS website! Thank you for all the advice. I will post up some Aircraft shots soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:09 am 

I didn't want to leave this sitting forever with no pictures up. So here is one I took the other night. Full moon over a C-130J "Herc". I want any and all criticism/pointers/advice. I am hungry to learn, and jump into the DSLR arena.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:13 am 
I think that is an awsome shot, shame you got some flair in it tho. Looks like something out of a james bond movie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 pm 

I pretty much think that if you set your camera to shutter speed priority and put it on a little longer shutter speed. That should do the trick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 pm 
Paukl wrote:
I pretty much think that if you set your camera to shutter speed priority and put it on a little longer shutter speed. That should do the trick!

True that :D but if ur shooting during the day dont go overboard with the shutter speed as this will overkill the image letting in to much light, which to a certain extent can be altered by bumpind the EV down (havent treid it myself) but theoretacily it should work :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 pm 
The Kodak Z7630 has a Shutter Priority Mode 8)
Use that and choose a shutter speed of 1/500 or less. Anything above that and the blades will be stopped more and more. I am sure the taxi prop speed of a C-130 is much higher than say a Cessna 172 so some blur should be easy to maintain. This stuff is really fun to play with and please do post some pictures, that would be sweet. Thank you for your service jddwls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:16 pm 

jddwls, send me your address, in a pm. I will see that you get a care package, with some photo stuff in it..

you have gotta submit a photo for the on assignment this month, it is Zrmi's pick because he won the last month...he chose "transportation" as the theme for April...whooohooo...I know you got some shots of that.

Glad to have ya here, and can't wait to see what your next photo post will be...

yippppee.

gracias, for all your hard work, wish yout strength for the lonely times, scary times, and just can't wait to get home times...vaya con dios. My hat is off, and my head is down..humbled by your service.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:30 pm 
well, thank you so much for th pointers, advice, tips, compliments, and praise. I feel welcome already. thank you so much.

Patti; I already posted a photo I shot a week or so ago for this months assignment, and I definately will get something good for next month, being transportaton. This one I am excited for! thank you again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi jddwls, further to the great advice above, check out our sister site www.dslrtips.com as many of the techniques are applicable to all cameras...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:09 pm 
well after about 70 some shots i think I got the photo I have been looking for. :D Took a little time and a lot of patience, but hit me with your pointers to make it better, please.

Camera Model: Kodak Z760
Lens and focal length: ???
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/250
Exp Bias: -2
Sensitivity: ISO100
Post processing: cropped and cleaned colors