Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Comments needed!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:12 pm 
Hi,

i recently started sports photography.
So please give me feedback about the pictures and what i need to do tho make them better.

thanks!

Camera: Nikon D80
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 270 mm
ISO Speed: 320

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 165 mm

Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Focal Length: 145 mm

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 250

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 pm 

Quite nice. Only flaw I can find, is that you might have been better off using a higher ISO and faster shutter speed for some of them. No big deal though.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:30 pm 
Greta action shots.... maybe its my moniter but they look a wee bit bright.... but thats just my opinion... which doesnt mean much as i have been doing this for all of 5 weeks..LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:36 pm 
For someone who's recently started sports photography, they aren't bad at all. You've got good colours and 3 moderately interesting images. The third one, I'm afraid is a little short on action and is boring, but you've done well to crop a good composition.

I don't know if you do have a calibrated monitor, but as TheHawk1973 has said, they are bright - on all of my configured monitors. Colours are excellent though.

ISO levels are fine; there's not much motion blur and the EXIF data looks reasonable. Did you try ISO 200?

Overall a good illustration of the 70-300 for action in good lighting conditions. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Photoj on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:58 pm 
Hey HS in number 2 do you remember if the guy in the red beat the guy in the black.. you can see the red guy about to put a move on him.. aww man i wish i was at this game.. 10 years of soccer (football where your from) on my belt so i love the game.. any try indoor.. played that for a bit great fun!!.. looks like a great match!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:04 am 
Hey HS,

technically you're clearly hitting the right groove with these shots.

The "challenge" as I see it, is more what action that is going on (which you don't control).

These shots - good as they are - depict some pretty ordinary soccer-situations and there isn't anything in them that will make a soccer-fan go "ooh".

A more spectacular sport or an incredible persistence, patience and fast reaction time combined with endless hours of watching the ball through the viewfinder may yield more "spectacular" images.

Getting clear and well composed images (you have that already) of spectacular moments in the sport you are watching is a tricky combination of achieve and not all something you control. That's why the sports-photographers who cover soccer (and many other spots) take a gazillion shots, just to get that ONE killer shot for the front page of the sports section.

You seem to have everything you need to get great shots - only thing missing is 100's of hours doing it until something truly remarkable happens..lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:21 am 
I see what you meen LahLahSr but it takes some practice to get that shot's.

maybe this pictures have a little more ohhh en ahhh in them :)

Stiker scores 0-1, goalie's error :D

Emp93: he didn't beat the guy in the black shirt. I'm a player of the black/yellow team as well, but i'm injured at the moment.I also play indoor soccer/football, i've tried to shoot some pictures but it wasn't a succes so far due to bad lighting.

And i'm not sure if my monitor is calibated, i think not caus i havn't done anything fore it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:42 am 
u got the goal which is nice :D

I like the sharpness of the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 pm 
These two are more interesting action images and tell us more about what happened.

Still far too bright I'm afraid. When you reviewed it on your camera, does it vaguely look the same as on your monitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 pm 
Goal!

Nice shots, the lasts one's you posted are definitely action shots compared to the ones above. I'm not a big soccer fan but I enjoyed the goal

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:28 pm 
Yeah HS!

those last two are hitting "the mark" a lot more - nicely captured.

Not sure if it's intentional for the purpose of adding drama or if you have the same problem that I do - I can't eyeball a straight/level horizon and I always dip a little to the right. Yours are dipped some to the left.

Easily corrected, but it can crop your image a little.

Cool pics HS - I remember screaming my head off when watching one of the most exciting soccer matches in the history of soccer: World Cup Final between Argentina and Holland in 1978 (dang I'm old!!..lol).

For inspiration, you might hit the library and get one of those books they made, covering entire tournaments. Large-format hardcovers with large-print photos. Some truly great photography there.

Playing with the depth-of-field to bring some focus on specific players and rendering others more blurred can also yield some interesting shots.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:08 pm 
Photoj: on the camera te pictures look a little darker but not to much.

I wasn't born yet in 1978 but i've seen the final about then times on national tv, hitting the post in de last few minutes of the game aahhh so close and yet so far from winning the WC.

I don't see it happen these days :(