Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: stepping into the sport
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:19 am 
:D Hey:
Just under a year ago i got my Nikon d40 and im loving it as a first time DSLR camera and now im looking for accessories that may help me on my way to one day actually know all i can know about photography and also hopefully become a sports photographer.
I have a n after market battery grip for my d40 which makes my camera look great and multiplies my camera usage time heaps.
Now im looking for speed light flash to stop the lens shadow on many of my photos and just to generally improve the lighting in my photos and what i want to know is will the Nikon SB-600 flash work on a Nikon d40 because the menu on my Nikon doesn't have the option to put an add on flash on my camera. :? Can you please help me out :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:44 pm 

Hello fesk8boi, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!

The SB-600 is an excellent idea (after the more expensive SB-800) and you can use it easily with our D40: just mount it in the hot-shoe and everything goes automatic :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hey fesk8boi,

welcome to the forums :-)

Just a FYI: In Nikon's SB line up of flashes, only he SB0800 will act as a flash commander. This means that if you ever want to tie several flashes together, you have to have the SB-800.

I know you are only talking about using one flash in your post, but if you later want to expand your lighting with more flashes, the SB-800 is the only one that will let you do that.

Other, more expensive, Nikon bodies have the flash commander built in- such as the D80, but the D40/D40x does not. (Nor does the new D60 if I recall correctly).

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:12 pm 
:DThank you soooo much LahLahsr & Thomas you have just made my mind up for me, i will buy the SB-600 this week :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:41 pm 
fesk8boi wrote:
:DThank you soooo much LahLahsr & Thomas you have just made my mind up for me, i will buy the SB-600 this week :D

can i ask how much your paying for it? because i have a sb-600 used it once so far, and i havent used it much so i am going to try to sell it off and get a new lense instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 am 

Hi alex168,

Just a friendly reminder that there is a forum policy that members should not advertise goods for sale.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:08 am 
:? sorry Alex168 but im getting a brand newy off ebay for $290 (aud) with two free diffusers :D thanks anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 am 

May i ask what kinda sport ur planning to take pictures of? I'm just curious :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:30 am 
HEY Noceo (Jake)
I take pictures of skateboarding, motorbiking and scootering along with every day photos such as family shots and plant life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:34 am 
I'm looking for a cheap lens for my Nikon D40 that is quick focusing and has a good zoom. With lenses i have no idea what Im looking for please help me, it cant be over $500 (aud).
THANK YOU :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:34 pm 
Maybe the 70-300 VR is something you need, you can check it out in the lens reviews on this site.

I have it myself and it's good for sport but only when there is enough light.