Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:07 am 
these are some of my first attempts doing the panning technique..hope you guys can give some comments..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:17 pm 
Those are all fantastic.. very good panning effect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:24 pm 
I think the bicycle-picture is the sharpest.

But i like the old car the best. They look so cool.
And in the picture it looks like it's cornering at 100km/h, and it even looks like the right rearwheel is about to lift :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:14 pm 
those are some great pics i wouldn't have guessed that this was your first time! all of them were very sharp. ps i like the bike one the best i've never seen one like it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:07 pm 
Very impressive, what shutter speed did you use for these, and did you find it took a number of attempts to work out the optimum speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:50 pm 
Yes all of them were very good! I tried doing this also, but people kept looking at me strange why I was taking pictures of them :o

Next time, I better find a better location :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:37 pm 
wow ! I liked them as well. The vivid colors are also great.
Hummmm .. my favorites, if i had to choose, would be the old car, the Audi and the Cyclist. :)

I hope for the cyclist that the vertical white line is not some kind of post :lol: :P

Great panning shot! Reminds me I have to try some as well. :idea: Never have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I like the cycling one the best - you've nailed the technical side. Now it's a case of experimenting with the timing. Sometimes it works best with the subject still approaching, sometimes when it's in front, or sometimes when it's already gone past a little...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:13 am 
thanks guys for the comments..for your information, i use 1/30 shutter speed for the photos..I also like the cycling photo..badlyoverdrawnboy, to shoot those pictures, I think that I've made lots of attempts..on that day, I shot almost 40 pictures and just 10 come out great..It's pretty hard to get perfct picture..it's all about timing as gordon said..Andy, you should try this technique, it's fun..before this I always wonder on how people can shot pictures like this..but now, I knew the trick..:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 am 
Nicely done! Should qualify for a title: "Panmaster" :-)

Did you do it hand held or did you swivel on a tripod?

I like the biker best too.

The back of him is blown out some - if there isn't too much light already, you could give a lower ISO number and/or adjust the F-stops maybe?. 1/30th of a second is a long time and it's hard not to catch too much light during daytime and in sunshine.

However, I'm one of those people who thinks that in some cases, blown out highlights can add to the image if carefully selected (such as certain metallic and glass reflections). In this case, I don't think it detracts from the image at all.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:31 am 
Am I doing something wrong here? When I try this with my 40D, as soon as a press the shutter button down, the viewfinder goes black. This means I can't keep my eye on the moving subject and pan with it. Is that to be expected, and is it just a case of approximating where the subject is, or is there something I can change in order to be able to see while exposing a long shot?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:08 am 

badlyoverdrawnboy wrote:
...When I try this with my 40D, as soon as a press the shutter button down, the viewfinder goes black...

When you fully depress the shutter then in order to take the picture the mirror flips up out of the way of the light going from lens to sensor. That is what the term SLR (Single Lens Reflex) in DSLR means. As that mirror is responsible for deflecting the image from the lens into the viewfinder that means that whenever the camera is actually taking a picture the viewfinder will go black (and Live View won't work either).

If your exposure time is long enough for this to be a concern while panning then I think all you can do is just continue to pan the camera at the same rate and in the same direction as your target was moving just before you pressed the shutter button.

Bob

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:39 am 
:shock: excellent panning there!

Vivid colors and fast motion! My favorites are the bus and the fire truck. They have a very "roaring" effect, probably because you can't see the rear wheels and just the front wheels.
For the two firt pics were you located near a turn? Because both the bus and the fire truck seem to be turning their wheels. Gives the impression they're going to take off! Great pics, really

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm 

The cyclist is the best example of how you can "wipe out" the background and focus on the subject!
Very nicely done.
Can you give us any more insight of how exactly you did it (shutter-speed always 1/30? Panning technic? focussing etc.)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:48 pm 
great shots - i think i like the bike rider best.