Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 am 
Hi all. I wanted to share some pics I took about a week ago with my new 18-200 Nikkor lens.

Happy to receive feedback.

See the rest (10 pics)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23248697@N ... 6818/show/

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:55 am 
Great shots! especially No.2, colours are awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 pm 
Well done Ronan_M - really nice shots. Well composed IMO and very sharp.

My only comment would be to include some panned shots next time? Some shots at slower speeds in the corners would turn out great I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing your shots from the next crit.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:44 pm 
Thanks for the comments.

I though about some panning when the event was already over. I'll try it next time.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:37 pm 
I would say, try and drag the shutter speed to get some motion blur. And I really like the colours in the images. But some good images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 pm 
dkmaisto wrote:
I would say, try and drag the shutter speed to get some motion blur. And I really like the colours in the images. But some good images.

if you need motion blur you can still use this blur on your photoshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 am 
hmm try angling the lines the other direction cause it looks a bit unnatural. And the 2nd one is my favorite!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:56 am 
Nice captures. I think I prefer the original though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:05 am 
grahamnp wrote:
Nice captures. I think I prefer the original though.

i see what you mean but i was quoting the fact that if you need motion blur you can still use the software. to my knowledge in sport event you need fast shutter speed but i may be wrong. lol :D

Post subject: Good Shots
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:21 pm 

Good shots Ronan!

Since you're asking for feedbacks, I have one:

All of the shots are done at a level angle. Try angling the shots to the left or right (especially when the subject is in motion). This will make the viewer feel more engaged in the shot.

For example:
In shot 1, you could angle the camera about 25 to 35 degrees to the right to line the shot up with the cyclists. This would really draw the viewers attention more than a level shot.

Please feel free to ignore this advice as my level of photography is quite lower than yours from what I see in these shots.

Keep up the good work.

Post subject: Thanks everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 am 
Thanks everyone for the comments. I do have to say that I prefer the original to the post-processed in this particular case, but I will try paning next time, as it can have a very nice effect.

Thomas, thanks for the suggestion. Not sure I understand what you mean. In the first shot I WANTED to show that the cyclists were at a rather steep angle of incline with respect to the floor. Not sure if tilting the camera would neutralize that effect.

Also, I took some at face level and some at ground level, not sure if that's what you mean.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I took close to 300 to get about 25-30 keepers and maybe 3-4 really good ones. Guess there's lots of room for improvement !.

God bless the digital age.....any mediocre photographer like myself will eventually take 1 or 2 good shots given enough space on the memory card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Great shots - I especially like the first one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:55 am 

Sorry Ronan. I messed up my terminology :oops:

I meant tilting, not angling. And no, not to neutralize their steep angling into the turn, but to give the viewer the feeling of being in that steep turn in which the cyclists are. I guess this would only be effective if you include the ground.

Anyway, hope this makes more sense.

Thomas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:37 am 
Thanks for posting these photos Ronan. I'm a cyclist myself and just now getting into photography. I've read these forums for a few months, but I guess you could say that your post encouraged me to register and post.

I like #4 the best. What I like about it is the detail of the race that you've captured. I'm a cyclist myself and watch cycle races on television so I can see that you've captured a great part of the race.

It looks to me like this is the last turn before the finish (or last lap at least) and the two teammates in front are in the lead. The lead-out man (the cyclest on the far right) is looking to see if the team in black will launch an attack. If that happens, he'll have to match the acceleration to give his teammate (the guy second from the right) a chance in the sprint.

What I really like about the photo is how you can see the details. You can see that the lead cyclist has navigated his tires between the road reflectors, and is now looking backwards to assess the condition of his rivals.. You can tell that the two cyclists in black seem to be spent and not likely to launch an attack right now, while the teammates in blue look calm, relaxed and in control of the race. If I had to guess, I'd say that the guy in blue (second from right) won the race.

That one photo takes me to the race and makes me feel like I am there. I really want to know how it ended up!

For me, this is not just a photo of *that* crit race, it really tells a story of cycle racing in general.

Also, can you give me a few tips about cycle race photography? This weekend the Amgen Tour of California comes to town and I will be there with my D80 + 18-200VR and hope to snap some great photos.

PS - when I look at the face of the guy in 3rd position, my legs and lungs really start to burn! I can feel his pain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:17 am 

Hi synic,

May I offer you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

Hope you get some good shots at the Tour of California. If you get some "keepers" we'd love to see them in the Action and sports photography forum. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.