Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:20 pm 
Hi,

I've been photographing live bands for about 2 years, and now I feel that I have a nice group of good shots. I wondered if I could have some feedback on them and if you think they are any good. Here is the set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotthukin ... 947477035/

Also, If you think they are decent, how would I get my photos out there? I've done a few things for local magazines but I want to progress further, so where would you recommend I advertise m work?

Cheers peoples, Scott.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 am 

I agree that you have "a nice group of good shots". And, to me, that's the issue--they're good, but they're mostly individual shots. I'm missing context, flow, the feeling of what it was like to actually be there. Especially for rock, I'd rather have shots that aren't technically perfect, but that make me feel the energy.

I realize this is a portfolio, so you're picking your best. But personally, I'd like to see a subgroup of maybe ten or so shots taken at the same gig, especially with a few wide shots included. Maybe add 5-10 more shots from the Elephant Keys shoot or something.

You clearly have the technical ability. For me, it's just missing the emotion. I want my reaction to be, "Wow, that looks like a hella good time!" Instead of, "Wow, that's a hella good picture!" Right now, it's the latter, which, I'd like to stress, is not a bad thing. Again, I think your pics are very good. I just think it would be even more awesome if I got the feeling that, "Those guys effing RAWK!"

And what's worked for me was to start working regularly with one band and then either get referrals through them and/or meet other bands at multiple bookings who like your work.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:53 am 
Thanks for you feedback, really appreciate your options. I think that would a great idea to create sub-folders of the best gigs i've done so people can look at them. I know what you mean about my technical being better than my emotion in the images, I feel that now I have learnt the way to photograph at a gig properly, lately I have been not thinking about the camera as much so hopefully these shots will hopefully become more regular. If you look at the 'Pulled apart by horses' gig, which is more recent gig I did, I think those show that i've I'm getting there with these types of shots.

Thank you so much Mark for your input!

Scott.