Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stop action
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:32 pm 
Greetings,
I would like to learn how to make "stop action" pictures.

I have an Canon 40-D with the 17-85 IS lens.

I have seen pictues when a drop of water just hits the surface, and when someone pour whine in a glass och a pigeons wings flap. And i just felt that i want to learn how to do that.

First of all, can this be done with my equipment at all?

If so, how do i do?

If not, what do i have to buy?

Thanks,
Khol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:44 pm 
I think most people just learn how to click the shutter at the right time. However, I have seen pictures where the camera has been hooked up to a home-made sound trigger. :D That way the sound of a bursting ballon or a drop of water hitting a surface takes the picture automatically (sorry, I don't have a URL for that though). :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:00 pm 
Hello

Are you wanting to stop the action in one shot or several
Also- do you also want to try your hand a time-laps?

To stop the action you should set your shuter speed at 320+. For faster action (like humming birds) I would try 800 and go from there.
the higher you have the shuter speed the more you would need to set the ISO or F/stop
I don't know how your camera works and am not sure of setting.

I don't know much about time laps other then it is like one shot every 20min or so but it can be done with you camera. I think there is a controler of some sort that is used for this. :?:

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Khol, as Nick and Brian say, it's a combination of timing and a quick enough shutter speed to freeze the action.

Selecting a quick shutter speed is easy in shutter priority or manual mode, but for a correct exposure, you'll need sufficient light. This means opening the lens aperture (smaller f-numbers), perhaps also increasing the sensitivity (a bigger ISO number), and of course making sure there's lots of light around.

Flashes can really help here.

In this thread are some action shots I took with a flash:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1050

Flashes are quite interesting as although their synch speed with your camera may be 1/250 or below, the actual flash itself happens extremely quickly - something like a thousandth or even ten thousandths of a second.

So a neat trick you might want to try is to take your action shot in complete darkness! For the following shot of a dart going through a balloon filled with water, I put the camera on a tripod in a dark garden and left the shutter open for several seconds. I thin asked a friend to throw the dart at the balloon and I manually fired the flash on an external flashgun when I heard the dart hit the surface.

There were lots of failed shots or even of darts bouncing off the surface (!) but I did get two nice shots below... these were taken with a Canon EOS 400D / XTi with the kit lens and a cheap unbranded flashgun fired manually. The sensitivity was 400 ISO and the exposure set to manual with the aperture open - the shutter speed didn't matter as it was dark and not recording any light until the flash went off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:43 pm 
Hello, and thanks for your inputs.

Brian: That sounds lika a very cool trick. I just have to find more information about the sound-triggered photos. Can be quite useful from time to time. Specially if you want to catch a rare animal or something, a birt landing i a nest or something. Just mount a microphone near the nest and thew camera on a tripod. Really cool !

Nick: Well actually, now when you're mention it, i guess that im interesten in both stop action photos (such as Gordons examples) and timelaps is in my range of interest. As i puchased my 40-D i also got a PC-program where i can program the computer to fire my camera at desired intervalls. That seems lika a really cool feature, and i MUST try that out. Hav'nt figured out a nice subject of interest yet, but maybe a panorama of the moon making the arc over the horizon.

Gordon: Wow, now that was some serious pieces of actionpics. Even if they are still images I can really feel the motion in them. A nice trick you used to. Will try the same method myself.

Thanks !

/Khol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:33 am 
Khol, you got my curiosity up, so I did a Google on "Sound Triggered Photos" and the first thing that came up was this :D

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/st ... hotos.html

Play the video. It uses Gordon's approach (Great shot Gordon!!! :shock: :) ) of leaving the shutter open, except triggering the flash with sound.

There maybe more sites to search but thats all I can do now. Thanks Khol for getting the photographic juices going :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:21 am 
BrianS wrote:
Khol, you got my curiosity up, so I did a Google on "Sound Triggered Photos" and the first thing that came up was this :D

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/st ... hotos.html

Oh my .... now how cool wasnt that?
With a little bit of tweaking you can probably make that teqnique pretty usable.
I just HAVE to build something like that....

You'd better watch out for that capacitor tho :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:59 pm 
dang looks like I am going to go out and buy me a disposable and try this one out! thanks Brian for the link, you made my dayy. But as Gordan was talking about, shooting at dark and firing the flash manually, I have done this before and works quite well.