Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zoom Range?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:39 pm 

I was wondering if anyone had any expirience with what zoom range is needed for action and sport photography, mostly football (soccer)?
I need a telephoto lens, i know that, but is 300mm the aim? Or should it be more (or less)?

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:00 am 
Site Admin

How far will you be from the action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:15 am 

Well my best guess would be at least 100 meters, sometimes. An avg. football field is around 130x80m or so. So of course it depends a bit on where you place yourself :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:50 pm 
football I would do 70-300 zoom, from my experience. You will defiantly get a lot out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:14 pm 
I went to a football game about 6 years ago. My father had a nikon film body and a 70-300 (not sure of the model's we bought the set just for the game and took it back two days latter :twisted: ) we were about half way up the stands and to the right of the goal. most of the game was at the other end of the field. the shots turned out realy good and alot closer then we thought. I don't think you would have any problems with a 70-300mm lens. best if luck to you.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:17 am 
Site Admin

If you're shooting action, you'll also want a lens which focuses quickly.

You're a Canon owner, right? If so, then for action, I'd seriously consider going for one of their 70-200s instead of a 70-300, as they're really quick. You may lose out on the 300mm, but you gain on focusing speed and overall quality...

But if the players are always really far away, then you'll curse me and prefer a longer lens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:40 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:

But if the players are always really far away, then you'll curse me and prefer a longer lens!

Thats easy to sort only go to games where one team always wins and then sit/stand at the goal they are aiming for... and at half time swap to the other end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:19 pm 

Thanks for the advise. I'll consider the specific lens when i know how much i can afford to spent :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:04 am 

Hi,

I would like to ask a similar question, and hope you will find it buried here in this thread...

I will be taking pictures at an indoor venue, of Craig Camerons Extreme Cowboy Race..Indoor, fluorescent lighting...and I will be a good 300 ft from the action, which will not necessarily be fast, as in "race horse" fast..
but still classified as speedy in horse terms...lol..
I bought the canon 70-300...in addition to the lens that came with the 40D kit..and now am wondering if that was the right thing to do....

I have no aversion to adding to my lens inventory, and could spend under a thousand dollars...if I have to up grade, the deal is I really want to do it once, and do it right..I know Bob says "L" series...and I am thinking that I don't have enough money to upgrade to that level...(this may not be a dusty environment, today) but dust and dirt are sure in my future...do ya think the 70-300 IS USM would cut the mustard here, enough so I could get by for the afternoon..

thanks

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:53 am 

Hi Patty!
i think the reach of your 70-300mm fits the task very well. Unfortunately your description of the event sounded light poor light. So the challenge would be
1. Switch to aperture priority and set the aperture to wide open (F/4)
2. Crank up the ISO as high as you can bear (try shooting some before the event with ISO 1600 to see whether the grain/noise of the pics are ok for you!)
3. make some testshots first at the venue to adjust white-balance, so that the colors look best
4. make sure your flash doesn't activate! It is of no use at these distances!

And no, buying another lens will not help you much, as the real killer-lenses for such applications (like 300mm F/2.8 ) cost a fortune :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:06 am 

Hi Patti,

I'm with Thomas on this one. As he says, crank up the ISO to 1600 (but take some "backup" shots at 800 as well). When you get home if the pictures look too grainy then try some of the excellent third party noise reduction software that's available, usually on a free trial basis. You might find a program that does a better job than the routines in Canon's own DPP software. Ultimately no software can compensate properly for a poor initial image you might find the results are good enough to allow you to put off buying that mega-expensive glass. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:06 am 

thank you, very much, I am gonna try that, and see how it goes....
I can go early, and set up, and will let you know how it goes.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:39 pm 
patti wrote:
thank you, very much, I am gonna try that, and see how it goes....
I can go early, and set up, and will let you know how it goes.

patti

HOw did it go ?
Im going to be at a Toronto FC game this season and wanted to know what to bring as well.