Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paris-Nice 2011
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:45 pm 

I photographed the Paris-Nice prologue last year, which I found to be very enjoyable. The results were amateurish at best, which I hope to improve on this year as I will follow the entire race From Houdan (near Paris) all the way down to Nice.

I will post updates on my Paris by Photo website starting Sunday, plus I will post some of the more interesting shots here for any cycling fans. Cycling photography tips welcome and needed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 pm 

I have a roadbike so cycle everyday where I live. I havn't looked into cycling photography yet. Your photos look awsome, especially some of the expressions you were able to capture.What lens were you using for the pics ?

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 pm 

Thanks, most of them were taken with a 70-200. Most were also cropped as I did not take the shots tight enough, my first lesson from last year:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm 

stage 1 - Houdan Houdan 154.5 km Sunday 6 March 11:00 - 15:00 (CET)

Unlike most of the other stages, I can just turn up early for this one and wait in the same place between the start and finish, so for sure I will see both. I could try to drive to the half way point once the start of the race is over, but I think I will find it hard to get a good spot for the dash at the finish.

I am charging the spare batteries (having checked my main ones are charged), cleaned my cameras and lenses and will pack it all soon so I can get an early start tomorrow to ensure I get a good place. I will add some photos tomorrow after the start and again at after the finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:59 am 

I think the set is good DP, depends on what you want to show, a full bike and rider or a tighter shot to focus on the expressions of strain and pain on the rider, I like both and sort them later. I don't think shooting a bit wide is a mistake as you know you are not going to frame every image where you want in sports and especially the speed these guys ride.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:23 pm 

OK, I realised that apart from the exciting build up, the starts are quite boring:) Need to rush off to catch the finish soon. A couple of photos below, more here

The riders seemed very relaxed and happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 pm 

Some more interesting shots at the finish, though I think I will try to do a few of the stages from around the middle on a steep climb to get some of the great expressions when they have to really work hard.

I tried to be cheeky and grab a press pass in between the start and the finish, though unfortunately it did not pay off, which is such a shame as they have great facilities on offer to upload your photos etc plus access to the track, away from all the flag-waving crowds which block otherwise great shots!

I have updated the gallery here with a load more photos and added some more below, including 4 visits to the podium by the winner Thomas de Gendt, who started to look a little bit tired of it at the end!

I also added a photo of some of the professional photographers, standing by their super cool looking gear in their privileged spot to get the great photos. Oh to be a professional with a pass:)

Tomorrow's stage is a cool 199 km, from Montfort l'Amoury to Amilly. I think I will try to find a nice mid-stage spot to sit and wait for the action, then see if I can get back for the podium, as the start of the race is actually over in seconds with little action.

And finally the guys that do it for a living. It would be great to follow one of those for a week or two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:26 pm 

All that L glass ^ If only I could afford on of them :) Were you using your 70-200mm ?

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm 

I know, it would be nice, though not sure I could carry all that weight:)

Yes, mostly 70-200 plus a little 24-70

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 pm 

A bit more action in stage 2, as I decided to photograph the cyclists about 800 meters from the finish so that I could capture some good facial expressions.

I also set up a second camera on a tripod with a remote so that it was triggered the same time I used my main camera. it was wide and low and a little too close tot he action. I will keep playing with this for the rest of the week as I think I will be able to get some good results once I get it right.

The gallery for stage 2 can be found here.

These guys must breathe dust!

A shot with the tripod. I have no real control over the content as I focus on getting shots with the main camera. Initially I set the focus manually with a high aperture, however the light started to go so I set it to auto and set it faster. Tomorrow I will try manual as the 5D has problems focusing so fast....

This was the tripod setup.

Me taking the photo above triggered this photo:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 am 
Great shots

Love the idea of your remote set up... it's nice to have 2 cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:23 am 

Yeah, it is great to have 2 cameras,. I got the idea of the remote whilst chatting in a different forum. The original idea was to get some trails, but I forgot my ND filter. I am going to try that idea when they start the time trials stage (around 5 I think) as I will have more chances to experiment.

I am surprised the camera survived yesterday though, I did not expect them to be that close so soon (when I looked at the road, I thought after the bend they would slowly move over, but I was wrong).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:29 pm 

Another stage over. I tried to get some shots before a bend today. Not the best day, so will try to do better tomorrow!

As usual, a new gallery for Paris-Nice stage 3 can be found on my website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:32 pm 
I saw the tour de France a few times... and I agree with you, never really know where they'll pop up.
Glad you're having a good time... keep them coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 pm 

I think my biggest problem is I get there too early. I set up, then an hour later I have doubts and change the position, focus etc. Today I originally set the second camera to 3 meters, then had a change of heart and set it to 1......if I had left it at 3 I would have had some usable shots:(

Still, all part of the learning process. Now I am going to go see if I can find some cyclists in the restaurant at my hotel, as there are 2 teams staying here:)